Jet Lag..

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Jet Lag..

Postby Mikeyt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 am

Any secrets on how to conquer this? I myself went to Japan, which was a 10 hour flight, and was a considerable time difference from MST.

Basically, I had three that I think helped.

1) Drink Water. Lots and lots of water. Keeps ya hydrated.. considering airplanes are so dry.

2) Set your watch to Local time as soon as you get onto the airplane. That way, when you look at your watch, your brain starts to process that time zone.

3) Sunglasses. NEver did this, but, supposely when it's Night where you are going, put on your shades. It'll help your brain again process different time zones.

Any other thoughts? I'm heading to Turkey in about a month and half, and I wanna be prepared. I did book an extra at the start so I could rest a wee bit. :)

MIke
Mikeyt
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Jet Lag..

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:01 am

As you said, drink lots of water. Another thing I try to do is stay up late and short myself on sleep the night before so I crash on the plane and sleep a lot. It's worked for me going from EST to Singapore, MST to Athens, MST to Nairobi (although I WAS pretty darn tired when I got into Amsterdam), MST to Copenhagen.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Its not very PC but vodka and sleeping pills!! LOL
I wake up having slept for hours the whole flight and feel ready to go.

(I can hear everyone tutting!)
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby TravelFun » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Zuleika wrote:Its not very PC but vodka and sleeping pills!! LOL
I wake up having slept for hours the whole flight and feel ready to go.

(I can hear everyone tutting!)

OK, I didn't 'tut' but more of a 'uh??' :o

Wouldn't recommend alcohol and pills...everyone reacts differently!

How about....vodka OR sleeping pills :!:
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey, Zuleika, hope they don't let you sit next to the emergency exit!
:shock: 8) :lol:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby kris_nyc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 pm

I fully endorse the sleeping pill routine. I think the key is getting a full night of sleep the first night that you arrive at the new place or home.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 am

I have a coworker who swears by melatonin supplements. I'm not really sure how it works, and tried to read more about it here, but my brain isn't functioning this early in the morning so I couldn't explain it anyway.

As for me, since I don't sleep well on planes (even with a few beverages), I try to limit the effects of jet lag by exhausting myself upon arrival. That is, I try to stay busy until it is actually time for bed on the local clock. Sometimes this works, sometimes I wind up face down in my sushi. Usually I'm awake at 4am the next day regardless.

Out of multiple business trips to Asia from the US, there have only been 3 where I seemed to have conquered jet lag. Two of those trips shouldn't even count because I flew to Narita, immediately took a train to Sendai, worked for two days, train back to Narita, fly home. I didn't even give jet lag a chance before I was back in my own bed! But the other time I was coming back from the Philippines, stayed out all night before my flight, stumbled back to my hotel room in time to pack and head to the airport. I slept nearly the entire way back to Japan and then to Chicago, ate only 1 out of 5 meals, and felt like a champ after another good night's sleep back home. I can't say I endorse this option (there are a number of places it could go horribly wrong, obviously), and it is similar to Zuleika's strategy, but as of now its the only thing that's actually worked!
thecakeisalie

Postby Praha335Ci » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 am

Just about every traveller will have some kind of trick or tip about managing it. I've tried them all and the only one which I find that really works is melatonin replacement via jet ease.

www.jetease.com.au

I find that for any long distance trip it is very effective.
Praha335Ci
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby adrienglinkerman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:12 am

You really need to get some Melatonin pills. Basically they will help you get to sleep quicker and help you adjust to the right time a lot quicker. Very good on overcoming jetlag.

reverse phone detective | magic of making up
Last edited by adrienglinkerman on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrienglinkerman
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 am

adrienglinkerman wrote:You really need to get some Melatonin pills. Basically they will help you get to sleep quicker and help you adjust to the right time a lot quicker. Very good on overcoming jetlag.

Thanks for the tip. My husband uses melatonin to help him fall sleep. I can see how it could help against jet lag if you are crossing multiple time zones to the east and need to go to sleep when you body thinks it's still daytime. I think it would be counterproductive though when you travel west and need to force yourself to stay awake until bedtime.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby kew » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I once travelled for 35 hours to get from Melbourne to Boston, surprisingly I didn't suffer from jet lag. I think that the trick was staying awake the whole time and having a flight that got in at 8pm Boston time. It was dark & I was tired so I just fell asleep at 9, woke up at 8 the next morning & was fine.
kew

Postby cala » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:19 pm

I will try to follow the destination time a day or two before traveling. So if it will be six hours later, then I'll go to sleep six hours earlier or as close as possible. If I'm traveling west then I stay up for that extra time. The easiest to do is staying up later as opposed to going to sleep earlier.
I'd rather be traveling. Cala, Travel Insurance Advisor
cala

Postby georginal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 am

For me its making sure you go to bed at the right time when you reach your destination. If you must have a snooze during the day when you've arrived, make sure it is only a snooze for say, an hour or so, otherwise personally I find it hard to sleep when it does come around to night time.
georginal

Return to Travel Tips