Turkey - ETTE - April/May. What to pack??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Turkey - ETTE - April/May. What to pack??

Postby Mikeyt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Well, I've never been over on that side of the world, and last trip I went was in Japan in March.

So, being that this is a comfort level trip, is it necessary to use a backpack? Or is a rolling duffel bag good enough?

The backpack was great for Japan as we took trains alot, and were on foot for small amount of time.

Any thoughts? And what to wear? I'm aware of the Muslim religion, and what to wear etc..but, heavy? Light, mixed is probably a good idea..

Any thoughts, more than welcomed. :)

THanks

(Canadian btw, so, 10-15 Celsuis isnt cold for me. ;)
Mikeyt
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Turkey - ETTE - April/May. What to pack??

Postby molly1958 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi - I can't give you any immediate answers about Turkey in May. I have been in Morocco in Nov and I would be guessing that weather would be fairly similar. I found I got along fine with capri length pants, t-shirts and a fleece jacket. Basically shoulders and knees covered. If you have a shawl/scarf of some sort you will find that to be handy to use to put around your shoulders or if need be to cover your head, etc. I simply knotted it around a purse strap when not using it.

What caught my eye was that you mentioned being in Japan in March. I am hoping to do just that in a year from now. How did you find the weather at that time of year? How about the cherry blossoms?

Did you happen to get anywhere near the Snow Monkeys near Nagano? I was wondering if there is still some snow around that area mid/late March and if the monkeys were around and in the hot springs.

Any other Japan trip hints?
thanks!
molly1958

Re: Turkey - ETTE - April/May. What to pack??

Postby georginal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 am

So, being that this is a comfort level trip, is it necessary to use a backpack? Or is a rolling duffel bag good enough?

Any thoughts? And what to wear? I'm aware of the Muslim religion, and what to wear etc..but, heavy? Light, mixed is probably a good idea..

I've not been to Turkey, but again have experience in other similar countrys and I'm European! So here goes

The duffel bag wil be fine for this type of trip. In Europe it will be late spring/early summer by then, although perhaps slightly cooler in the evenings still, So shorts, Tshirts, Trousers ad also one or two warmer fleeces. You could consider taking a lightweight rain jacket, but there is also good chance you might not need it -better safe than sorry.

Muslim dress- they are mainly concerned about the head and shoulders, knees -thats always a debate these days, but in any event keep it conservative. Shirts/T-Shirts that cover the shoulder and middle area well are best, with longer style shorts or trousers. There's nothing wrong with taking Shorter shorts or strappy T-shirts, but just wear them in the areas where your guide says its OK to.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips