Backpack vs Rolling Duffle Bag

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Backpack vs Rolling Duffle Bag

Postby miss_tam » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi everyone!
I am doing the South Africa to Zanzibar Overland Safari in May and was wondering if any previous travellers had advice regarding backpacks vs. rolling duffle bags. I usually take my 55L backpack on these types of trips but it is top loading only which makes it difficult to find things and often requires re-packing daily. What is most recommended for this type of trip?
Any advice would be great! :D
Thanks a million! Happy travels all! 8)
Tam
miss_tam
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Backpack vs Rolling Duffle Bag

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Previous threads on this but I advise a rolling duffle with a good carryon daypack or duffle bag. The backpack is inefficient for packing in the truck's luggage compartment and more inconvenient to get things out of. You will have decent underseat storage for things you want on the truck and it's so much more convenient when you set up tents at campsite to have a single small bag that has your toiletries and a change of clothes -- just grab your overnight bag and sleeping bag and you're done while everyone else is pulling out their huge bags and sorting through them.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Backpack vs Rolling Duffle Bag

Postby Zuleika » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Im thinking about the same question. Im off to South West Africa soon. I already own a back pack and a rolling duffle. Last time I went camping/overlanding I took my backpack which is like yours, toploading. Frankly, when your in a tent trying to find anything involves emptying the wretched thing and then having to pack it all away again in the morning, where as my friend had a duffle and had much easier access to all her stuff. So I have pretty much decided to take my rolling duffle.
Let me know what you decide and why? When are you off?
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Return to Travel Tips