E-Mail Yourself Important Travel Information

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

E-Mail Yourself Important Travel Information

Postby derton » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 pm

E-mail yourself important information you need when traveling. Passport Number, Credit Card Information, Doctors name, Who to contact back home, Airline Booking number etc.

In the event this information, that you should carry with you and have a copy in your pack, is lost. Access your e-mail account online.

I’ve carried copies and have thought, what would I do if I lost both.
derton
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: E-Mail Yourself Important Travel Information

Postby Zuleika » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Excellent idea!!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby reed » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 pm

derton wrote:E-mail yourself important information you need when traveling. Passport Number, Credit Card Information, Doctors name, Who to contact back home, Airline Booking number etc.

In the event this information, that you should carry with you and have a copy in your pack, is lost. Access your e-mail account online.

Something is wrong with your system.

I just registered this morning with the username of "red" and posted the above message. Who is "derton"?

What has happen?
reed

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 am

reed wrote:
derton wrote:E-mail yourself important information you need when traveling. Passport Number, Credit Card Information, Doctors name, Who to contact back home, Airline Booking number etc.

Something is wrong with your system.

I just registered this morning with the username of "red" and posted the above message. Who is "derton"?

What has happen?

Not sure where "derton" came from; it looks like you are "reed" now. GAP requires screen names to be more than three letters but, since rule isn't enforced during the registration process, the guys in the back room have to come up with something for you.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby owena » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:48 pm

this is excellent idea - will get on and do this before our trip in April - thanks for the tip
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Macha » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:56 pm

I do this too, and find it really convenient, but it comes with some caveats. Anytime you compile and transmit personal data, you're putting that data at risk. Make sure you have a secure, reliable email service. If you access your account in an internet cafe or on a hotel computer, be sure to logout of everything, close your browser, maybe even log out of the computer if that is allowed. Also, be wary of sending things as attachments, in part because of security, and in part because the computer you use may not be able to open them.

I know that most of us are internet-savvy enough to find this obvious, but it still seems worth stating.

There are online document "vaults" where you can store copies of documents, but most of them come with a fee.
Macha

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

If you're going to use an Internet cafe or other public computer, make sure you also go in and delete the temporary file cache. I have cleaned out some very interesting things in the temporary files.

Personally, I created a webmail account that I used ONLY when traveling. Nothing else goes there so there's no tie back to my personal info if it gets violated. I also carry scans or softcopy of important information on my laptop if I'm taking it or a USB memory stick or SD-MMC chip if not.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby TravelFun » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Also email it to someone you can trust back at home...just in case you have problems accessing the information.
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Good advice, copies of your passport, travel plans, emergency contacts are all good to have in case you lose anything. But I would advise against ever copying your credit card (or debit card) information for any reason. Once lost, these are no good to you, and therefore copies are only problems waiting to happen. Having the phone number of the credit card agency is a safer option.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Travel Tips