packing for india

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

packing for india

Postby SueLavery » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Can anyone help me with packing for India. Do I bring only cotton? Do I buy clothing when I get there? Do I buy it here? Please help.
SueLavery
User Rank: Traveller

Re: packing for india

Postby desiree2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:51 am

Hi Sue

You really need to say when and where you are going because that makes a lot of difference. I camped in the desert near Jaisalmer in January and slept fully clothed with 2 doonas over me, but in Delhi in summer it can get to 40 degrees Celsius (over 100 Fahrenheit). I've haven't been south, but I believe the climate there is much milder.

Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby SueLavery » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi sorry. I will be Delhi at the end of February to Jaipur and Agra Varanassi and then to the south in Kerala and backwater stay. Would you recommend buying clothes in India instead of western wear (I'm from Toronto)?
SueLavery

Postby desiree2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi
The weather at that time of year should be very pleasant, around 25-30 C. I've only travelled to Asian countries and I tend to stick to the same thing - t-shirts with sleeves and long loose trousers. I find them comfortable to wear and I don't offend anyone by showing an inappropriate amount of skin. Wearing 3/4 pants is also fine. Short shorts and skimpy tops will only get you unwarranted attention in my opinion and shows a lack of respect for others' cultures. I'm not really into wearing a country's national dress (saris look absolutely gorgeous on Indian women, but I just look ludicrous!).
Don't take too many clothes, it's cheap to have them laundered and you can also buy clothes over there such as tops or trousers if need be. Anything you don't want to take home, just give them away.
India is a fascinating, exhausting, awe-inspiring country. It's an incredible place and you'll be amazed at everything you see.
Desiree
desiree2

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Don't overlook a good supplex nylon travel shirt or two with long sleeves that you can roll up. They're great at wicking the sweat away, dry quickly when you wash them, protect you from UV, add an additional layer if things get cool ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby SueLavery » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for the tips. So looking forward to this trip. I do have friends who are offering me salwaar kamaeez, maybe will take one and see how it is. I do have a couple of shirts with UV protection.
I will be staying a few days before my tour in Chandi Chowk and with all the markets there I'm sure I can pick up something
SueLavery

Return to Travel Tips