Protecting Belongings

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Protecting Belongings

Postby yasworldtraveller » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm going travelling with a friend in February, we're going for 5 months, visiting SE Asia, South America and the USA. We're staying in hostels majority of the way round, and one of my biggest worries is leaving my belongings. It's my first time staying in Hostels so I don't know what to expect, do they have Safes? Or lock ups for larger bags? If not what do you do to protect your things? All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)
yasworldtraveller
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Protecting Belongings

Postby sinecure » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I would suggest TSA locks and something like PACSafe to go around your bag.
sinecure

Postby suzycdn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

I've stayed in quite a few hostels through Europe, Australia and Canada. Bring a good combination lock for a locker (keys can get lost) as there are typically lockers for you to lock your bags into. I've never had a problem with anything disappearing out of the hostel lockers. That said, if there's anything you don't want to lose, such as your passport perhaps, keep it with you in a money belt. Next, if you don't look look like you have anything worth stealing, you make yourself less of a target. Fancy, highly portable electronics (iPod, etc) are favorite targets in most places. Keep them out of sight as much as possible. Also, anything you can do to look like a more difficult target helps. That's where the TSA locks and PACSafe would apply. I don't have a PACSafe myself but I am considering one for my trip to Peru.

A little vigilance, without straying into paranoia, will keep your stuff safe most of the time. :)
Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
~Miriam Beard
suzycdn

Postby ballu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:28 am

Some have lockers, some don't....bring a lock just in case.

I've got a money belt, when I stay in hostels I sleep with it under my pillow and bring it with me to the shower. The least amount of valuables you bring, the better. When you're out for the day, you'll have your camera and probably MP3 player with you so all that's left behind to be stolen is your clothing. If you can lock up your pack, you should.

I don't have a big pacsafe, but I did buy a little pacsafe portable safe. You can keep your camera, ipod etc. in it when you want to leave the room and not carry them around. You can lock the safe to your bunk.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-TravelSaf ... B002LB2GOY
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Travel Tips