Towels

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Towels

Postby hilary » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Recently I was in a travel store checking out gear and noticed that you can buy travel towels for a lot of money.

However, when I went to Australia I used a couple of cotton sarongs as towels. They do a great job plus in a warm climate they dry really quickly just spread over the top of my bag or hung up. They're also a lot cheaper and can be used as a shawl, cover-up, and even a light blanket.
hilary
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Reditor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 pm

A note on the quick dry travel towels .... they are reat, but if you're going somewhere with salt water, these thigns tend to STINK once they've gottten wet and dried a couple times (whether you use them to dry yourself as well or not....girls, guys, anyone I know that has used one had this problem)

A mild irritant to some, but a drawback to others.
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:55 am

The quick-dry towel seem like a waste of money to some people, and some of them are. There are a few companies that make far superior towels than other companies. I use on my trips (by Aquis) thats one of the best, and I've never had a problem with it smelling bad.
They are also not supposed to just be quick drying, but ultra absorbant.

You could find the towel I use on my website.

Rob
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kangaa » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:32 pm

As a veteran traveller who has never taken a full size towel and has spent up to 9 months on road at one time and typically on the move every other day - this is my experience -

The "towelling" style microfibre travel towels are great (the other chamois ones and "smooth" ones are not so good). They absorb heaps, can be rinsed, rung out and then packed damp - but best in some ventilation to strart drying - that is why they come in mesh bags. If I'm in dusty conditions they stay inside the pack, but I pull them out for air/some drying out when out of the dust/dirt.

They work better in humid environments.

Before these things I used a lightweight cotton sarong (which is btw the absolute best thing for beaches because sand shakes right out of them - but they blow away in the wind really really easily!) and used to take a small "mitt" washer and a small hand-towel. The washer to get the water droplets off and then use the towel/sarong to get nice and dry.

In humid enviromnents cottons just don't dry quickly and they do get smelly if packed. The synthetic expensive ones also don't dry, but they still absorb and dry. I haven't had trouble with "stink" from them, only the old cotton stuff.

In dry environments (such as parts of Australia/Africa) the sarong, travel towels dry like lightning, but normal terry towling takes a lot longer AND is heavy when damp.

So now I use the synthetic travel towel in the "bathrooms" and the sarong in outside bathing/swimming. A sarong is also a great sheet, modesty thing, laundry bag etc.
kangaa
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

can somebody remind me again

Postby samtheman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:53 am

a towel what is that again, been on the road for over 3 years now, and never had my own...
samtheman

Re: Towels

Postby sandra_gal101 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:32 pm

At the risk of sounding like a spammer, I will suggest a travel towel which I have used on several occasions.

It's like a sarong, but since it's terry cloth you can actually use it to dry yourself, and it can be used like a beach towel. I've used mine for quite some time and although it does not dry as fast as a microfibre sarong, since it is organic cotton, it does dry reasonably fast.

Anyway, it's called the Towelini and you can get it online at http://www.towelini.com/

Towelini - The Best Travel Towel Ever - It's a Sarong, Travel Towel, and Pillow in one. http://towelini.com
sandra_gal101
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby littleengine » Sun May 18, 2008 1:01 pm

All this towel stuff is a bit confusing... what works best where? I'll be heading to Central America in the fall (rainy season and humid at the best of times) so I'll need something both absorbant and fast drying. I saw one at MEC, the Bilt Designs Microfibre Towel, that says it's microfibre, but has a more terry cloth look and feel to it. Does anyone have any experience using this one? I bought one for a previous trip to Belize... a rougher blue chamois like one... I don't think that one worked so well so I don't want to run out and buy the wrong one for where I'm going and waste more money.
littleengine

Postby sinecure » Sun May 18, 2008 10:19 pm

We took the Bilt and the Adventure Towel's to Asia, and the Adventure Towel's out preformed the bilt by quite a bit.
sinecure

Postby Dennis » Tue May 26, 2009 1:16 am

do they supply beach towels around the pool
Dennis

Postby mrzeszow » Tue May 26, 2009 12:19 pm

This all depends on where you're going and the hotel you're staying at. For the most part, I would say no. But I have seen sometimes you can pay extra for a towel. Usually your hotel has towels in the room (depending on what style of tour you take) and we would just take those with us to the pool.
mrzeszow
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby marwin24 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:44 am

it has some draw back as well as good drawback is u now best quality if so its wastage of money and also spread particles and gems. it good when u have reactive water absorbent towel it help u wear like a blanket its work three in one. save money.
marwin24

Postby jenington » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:30 pm

K, so I'm on my way to south africa for 6m of backpacking. I got the towel, hopefully it will do the trick because its the most expensive towel I've ever bought, :) but I'm also looking for a sleep sack. Whats the scoop with these things? It seems to me that being all cooped up like a 'mummy' would be uncomfortable. Not to boot, but unless I order off line, They're around $80 canadian. ouch?! Any thoughs or advice?
jenington

Postby sinecure » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:28 am

sinecure

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:51 am

jenington --

Usually sleep sacks refer to the sleeping bag liners or sheet-thin sacks used in warm climates (or when you're not too sure about the hotel's sheets). I think you mean a real sleeping bag complete with insulation liners. You generally get what you pay for but there are a lot of good ones available online for $50-100 US as long as you're willing to get closeout models.

Most of the sleeping bags are fairly roomy, even the mummy styles. The mummy styles are generally designed to give you a balance between elbow room and minimizing the dead air space you have to warm up with your body heat. I once thought I might find mummy bags claustrophobic but have found they don't bother me at all (of course I've been camping with the Boy Scouts for 30 years now so YMMV).

I suggest a good quality sleeping bag with polyester insulation (down gets heavy and loses insulative value if it gets wet). For 3-season camping, I'd suggest something rated to at least 0 C, preferably -5 C -- you can always open up some zippers or even sleep on top of it if the weather is warm.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby ballu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:32 pm

The link sinecure posted is the one I have...it squeezes down to about the size of a softball.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Next

Return to Travel Tips