Travelling Alone Jan 2010

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travelling Alone Jan 2010

Postby livvy2508 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 am

Hey,

My name is Livvy I am 22 and live in Lancashire. In January I am setting off on a 4 month trip visiting Thailand, Oz, NZ and Fiji. My ticket is flexible so I can travel for longer but my plan so far is to do a month in each country. I am going alone so a little scared, getting very excited though! Does anyone have any tips on packing, the countries I'm going to, meeting buddies etc?!

Look forward to hearing from you :D

Livvy x
livvy2508
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Travelling Alone Jan 2010

Postby TravelFun » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi Livvy,

WOW, now that's going to be an amazing 4 months of adventure.

Here's a thread already on this subject:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11847&hilit=+alone

Search around the site and you'll find most of your questions answered...anything outstanding then post back here.

Happy Travels & Happy New Year !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby voidczech » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 am

Does anyone have any tips on packing, the countries I'm going to, meeting buddies etc?!

Don't bring too many t-shirts... you'll most likely pic them up for cheap along your travels ....

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 am

Livvy --

Four months, eh? The good thing is that all four of the places you're going to are likely to be very warm so I would take one pair of convertible shorts/slacks, a couple bathing suits and maybe 2-3 pairs of other shorts. Don't bother taking more than 4 of any particular piece of clothing -- have 1 to wear, 1 to wash, 1 to dry and 1 in case of emergency.

I would advise clothing made of materials that dry quickly like supplex nylon so you're reasonably sure it will be dry overnight.

You will probably want sunscreen, insect repellent, a broadbrimmed hat and a pair of sandals in addition to regular hiking or walking shoes.

I would advise packing your bag a week in advance then look through it and see what you can take out. It's amazing how your perspective on what to take will change as you see how full your bag gets or how much it weighs. Expandable bags are great for trips like this but try to pack them so there's room left over even before the bag is expanded.

On a journey that long, you're probably going to want some simple repair items in your pack. A small bit of duct tape, needle and thread, etc. I would also have basic first aid items -- painkillers, adhesive bandages, moleskin, antihistamines, sunburn ointment, insect sting ointment, etc.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips