Travel pack?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel pack?

Postby smyry52 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:34 pm

I have been doing lots of travel with a light weight duffel back and am ready to find a good travel pack instead. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd ideally like the biggest bag that is carry on size, but I don't know if that's big enough for say 15+ day of travel. So any input you can provide would be great. And if you have a link to specific bags that would be awesome as well.

Thanks
smyry52
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Travel pack?

Postby sinecure » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Try as many on as you can with some weight in them. And just keep trying till you find one that feels like it's not even there.
sinecure

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:21 pm

While there are many packs for many occasions and lots of good brand names to choose from, my favorite pack is made by Osprey. Lightweight, comfortable, extremely durable and, as you mentioned, fits in the overhead (Stratos 40 model). You won't go wrong with one of these. But whatever pack you buy, take Sinecure's advice and try it on with some weight, not all packs fit everyone the same way.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:56 am

I like the convertible suitcases that can become a decent backpack. REI makes one that's 50 l in the main backpack with a 25 l zip-on daypack. Nice padded straps and hip belt that zip under cover when you use it as a regular suitcase (no dangling straps to get caught on anything). The shape loads well unlike most regular backpacking packs.

Whether that pack can take 15 days worth of goods depends on how much you need for 15 days. I used my suitcase/backpack for 32 days in Africa (including sleeping bag) and 31 days in Greece although I had a carry-on duffel bag for my photography equipment, guidebooks, etc. Both trips were casual and summer time so I got away with most of my clothing being thin and lightweight -- things would have been far different if I'd had to pack additional dress-up clothes, heavy sweaters, etc.

For what it's worth, I personally hate it when I see people taking their 55+ l full-size backpack as a carry-on. Yes, it MAY fit in the overhead of a jumbo jet but only if you take up 3 peoples' space. Officially, carry-on size limit for most airlines is supposed to be 22 inches tall by 14 inches wide by 9 inches deep (roughly 55 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm).
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips