Peru or South Africa... please help!

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru or South Africa... please help!

Postby 1banshee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 pm

So here is my situation guys, I ave 3 to 4 weeks in March or April next year but I need help deciding where to go. I have two choices (tour code DCS 20 day South Africa Encompassed) or (tour code PHPT 21 day Absolute Peru)... has any one gone to these tours or places? need your suggestions! Thanks...
1banshee
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Peru or South Africa... please help!

Postby TravelFun » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Great situation to be in...I've been to Peru and have done a very similar trip and highly recommend it. Mind you, they both look cool!

The trips are pretty different so don't know how one would compare! Question is, what are you looking for in a trip and what attracted you to these two trips in particular?

Let's take it from here...

8)
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:48 am

Also keep in mind that June and July in 2010, SA is hosting the World Cup. From looking at some prices in May and September, they look much higher than last year. I suspect the prices have been jacked up due to WC. Not sure where you are coming from but from Toronto the prices are crazy!

I have a friend to who had to buy tickets for July and had to bite the bullet, something like $2,400 to SA.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby 1banshee » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Well, I have done trips similar to the Peru tour but never a camping trip like South Africa so maybe there's my answer(South Africa 1 Peru 0).... You are right Daniel flying to South Africa from San Diego during the summer months would cost me around $2,600, I would definitely book a March or April departure and pay half
1banshee

Postby jimshu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:00 pm

We haven't been to South America.Yet!
But twice to Southern Africa now.And would go again.(Ethiopia next August counts...).
I think why we have enjoyed Africa so much is that there is always an underlying tension, of something unexpected that could happen at any minute.
Unexpected wildlife encounters,like an elephant you just didn't see behind that bush, before he walks out in front of you.Or being charged by a big mum ellie because you've driven between her and her baby.That leopard that wanders across the road in front of your vehicle 5 minutes before you're about to exit Kruger, after you've spent 3 days looking for one.Getting hugged by a baboon at a wildlife sanctuary.Having to go for a pee in the dark of night when there's an ellie crashing around the camp.Coming across a dead young male rhino, killed by the areas dominant male.Finding scorpions under your sleeping bag.etc, etc....
Where else do you get this type of excitement?
You'll then dream forever of those awesome red African sunsets.Or the brilliance of those starry heavens at night.
And then there is the people and their music.
And camping style travel will bring all this out on offer to you.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Return to Travel Tips