Need your help deciding where to go...

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Need your help deciding where to go...

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 pm

Boy, you guys haven't made my decision any easier! :D

Unfortunately I can only go between beginning of June to end of Sept. I need my mom to take care of my dogs when I go. It's a little too difficult at her age to walk them in the winter with all the snow and ice.

India and Nepal or the Bolivia Crossing, both look great so I'm lucky I have plenty of time to decide.

For Bolivia when would be a good time to visit?

As to my undies, I'm taking 13 pairs no matter where I go! I like feeling fresh! :lol:
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 am

If photography is your primary interest, can I also suggest Morocco, if you haven't been there already? (Maybe not this year, but another time?) Souks, medinas, kasbahs, Roman ruins, food stalls, the Sahara Desert....they all make for amazing subjects.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jimshu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 am

How about Ethiopia for late August then Daniel?Great photography tour.
And wait.There's more!
You get Kay and I along too!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby TravelFun » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:30 am

DanielBMe wrote:Unfortunately I can only go between beginning of June to end of Sept.
For Bolivia when would be a good time to visit?

June to Sep in Bolivia is winter and it's known as the dry season which is a good time to go. Here's a summary per Region:

Altiplano Region - High Andes: Altiplano Region has the highest elevation in all of Bolivia and is in Andean Mountain range. This region is located in in the western portion of Bolivia and runs through La Paz, Lake Titicaca, Oruro, Salar de Uyuni and into parts of Peru.
The Altiplano Region typically has a chilly climate and is considered to have a semi-arid climate. Since it is at a high altitude the thin air retains little heat and the air is typically dry, with cool temperatures and strong cold winds that can sweep over the region.
Temperatures year round are cool to mild, the average in summer being 72°F (22°C) and in winter 59°F (15°C). During the night temperatures can get to the freezing levels.
The rainy season is in the summer months between November to March. The winter months of April to October tends to be dry, cool, and sunny. Snowfall events may happen in the winter months, but it is not very common (1-5 events per year).
Although the region can be visited year round, April to October is a great time to go, since it will have the cool, crisp, clear days. The summer wet season from November to March will be a bit warmer but rain can fall on most days and low clouds hover over the region. No matter when you go, always be prepared for wind and cold nights.
Also, remember the Altiplano region is high, you'll be in altitudes ranging from 4,500 meters (15,000ft) to 3100 meters (10,170 feet).

Cordillera Central - Highland Valleys: Just east of the Altiplano region lies the central highland valleys. The main cities that lie in this region are Cochabamba, Sucre, Tarija, and Potosi. Most of this region is considered to have Bolivia's most comfortable climate, with sunny warm days and cool nights.
This region is part of the Cordillera Central mountain range, which is the central of three ranges of the Andes and has the second highest peaks after the Altiplano region. The region consists of small mountains, rolling hills, valleys and fertile basins. Here the land is fertile and covered in lush green forest.
Temperatures are very pleasant during the day, usually between 17-27ºC (62-80ºF), with cool nights. Since the region is not as high as the the Altiplano region, the weather has a Mediterranean-like climate year round. Although, Potosi will have a much colder climate due to its altitude of 13,454 feet (4090 meters) above sea level.
Summer in the central highland valley region sees the most amount of rainfall and winter is considered the dry season. The region does sit at an altitude where one would think it would snow, since Bolivia lies near the equator it doesn't snow there. However, Potosi is the only area that does see a little snow due to its high altitude.

Yungas Valley: The Yungas Valley occupies the eastern slopes of the Andean Mountain range and the region has an elevation that ranges from 1,000 meters to 3,500 meters (3,300 feet to 11,500 feet).
The climate of the Yungas is considered to have a tropical to sub-tropical climate. Here it is warm, humid and rainy year round, with most amount of rainfall occurring in the summer between November to March. Rainfall can total up to 155 centimeters annually. (61 inches)
Clouds coming from the higher Altiplano region collide with the warmer air from the Amazon basin, depositing large amounts of rainfall year round. Making the steep, rugged terrain of the Yungas covered in lush vegetation and swift rivers running through the deep valleys.
Although the region is relatively remote, it does produce coca, coffee, tobacco, sugar, and tropical fruits.
Since it rains almost year round, the best time to go to the region is the more predictable drier season from April to October. One of the few ways of getting to the Yungas Valley is taking the Yungas road or known as the world's most dangerous road.

Eastern Lowlands: The eastern lowlands of Bolivia covers about half of Bolivia and includes anything that is north and east of the Bolivian Andes. The region runs through Santa Cruz, Trinidad, Beni, and up through Pando.
To the north and northeast of the Bolivian Andes lies the Amazon basin around the Beni and Pando regions. The climate here is wet and tropical, with high humidity, and heavy rainfall. The northeast trade winds, blows across the Amazon Basin, brings plenty of rainfall and flooding often occurs in the region. Daytime highs can average more than 30° C most of the year.
Moving farther south, to the east central part of Bolivia around the Santa Cruz department, the climate here is sub-tropical to tropical. In the summer from October through April, northeast trade winds from the Amazon area predominate, and the weather is hot, humid, and rainy. In the winter from May through September, the weather is a little more comfortable and drier. The southeast trade winds take control in the winter bringing in cooler air and sometimes strong winds blowing in from the Argentine pampas, called surazos, can reach this region during winter and can bring even cooler temperatures for several days.

Gran Chaco: The Gran Chaco is located in the south to southeastern section of Bolivia and also runs through Paraguay, Argentina and a portion of Brazil. The land is a sparsely populated and lies in a lowland region with flat scrublands and grasslands. Notable Bolivian cities in this region are Villamontes and Camiri.
The climate of the Gran Chaco is semi-arid to semi-tropical. The northeast trade winds bring rain and hot humid conditions only during summer from December-March. The winter months are dry with hot days and nights may get frost. Annual rainfall ranges from 500-900mm.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:37 am

I don't know Jim, Ethiopia isn't calling my name right now. Something about the landscapes of Bolivia/Argentina and India/Nepal is. Don't know why but it is...

Thanks for the info TF!

Daniel
DanielBMe

Postby kris_nyc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Daniel,

After weeks of hemming and hawing and comparing itineraries for different India trips, I finally decided to book Delhi to Kathmandu for Feb 13th. I'll let you and the rest of the board know what I think and post some photos (with my new D90! w00t!) when I return. :)

So excited! Hope it's not too chilly. :)
kris_nyc

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey Chris,

Can't wait to hear your feedback! I've been going nuts trying to decide on a trip for next year. I'm jumping all over the place. Here's what's under my wishlist for now. Just trying to sort out the ones that might be too expensive due to airfare. I'm still leaning towards India. I find that I can do somewhere between 15- 21 days, although 21 days may be pushing it.

If I do the Delhi to Kathmandu, I figure I could stay in Kat for an extra day or two. Athough not sure what else I can see there. I'm sure I could find a way to fill an extra day or two though.

The question I had about the Delhi to Kat trip is how do you get back to Delhi from Kat? Is there a flight out of there to Delhi that's relatively cheap or can I go from kat straight home to Canada?

Dunes, Deltas and Falls Overland- airfare is crazy high! Probably because of World Cup even for Sept..
Peru Panorama
Absolute Egypt
Best of Borneo - I have a feeling airfare will be quite high
Bolivia Crossing (La Paz to Buenos Aires)
Delhi to Kathmandu Adventure
Uncover India - Delhi to Goa
Discover India - Delhi to Cochin
Peru Panorama Plus - Costly
The Atacama Crossing

BTW can you see my avatar? I don't see anyone elses so I'm wondering if it's broken again?
DanielBMe

Postby kris_nyc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:22 pm

I've checked NY to Delhi / Kathmandu to NY flights and they were crazy expensive -- over $3000 USD, whereas a roundtrip NY to Delhi flight is $900-1200. I was able to find one way Kathmandu to Delhi flights for about $120 on sidestep.com on Jet Airways. I think there are other airlines that also fly that route.

Yes, I can see your avatar. Very cool. Your own photo?

I was also considering the Delhi to Goa trip, but decided that I couldn't go to India on a 1st time trip without visiting Varanasi. GAP has a Singapore/Malaysia/Borneo/Brunei trip on Dec 27, but there are no 2010 departures. :( Hopefully, they will bring that trip back some time in the future.
kris_nyc

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Wow, $3000! That's crazy! I looked at roundtrips to Delhi and got the same price as you. Pretty good. I noticed Air Canada has a direct 18hr flight. Not sure which is the best way to go though, one transfer or one long haul. Sitting 18hrs in a tin can is a looooooong time. I'd need several bottles or red wine for that :wink:

I'll keep that sidestep.com handy. $120 isn't too bad.

Yup avator is a pic from my recent trip to East Africa.

Hmm I can see your avatar now. I wonder if you can only see avatars when the user is online? Kinda weird how they come and go.
DanielBMe

Postby Reditor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Hey Daniel......I am heading on the Best of Borneo trip in January.
Flight prices are allover the place. A few weeks ago there was a flight for under $1700 using the direct to Honk Kong AC flight as the connector to Kota Kinabalu, but that one is now over $2500.
United Airlines has flights to Hong Kong for around $1000, so an Air Asia or Air Malaysia or other flight to Borneo from HK can keep it under $2000 pretty easily.
You'd want to book the Kuching <-> Kota Kinabalu flight separate to keep your roundtrip in tack and keep costs low. (It's less than $100 for the one way Kucking <-> Kota Kinabalu anyways)

Have fun deciding on the trip....
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jimshu » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Hey Daniel,
This can't help but suck you in to India.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11893&start=0

Most of this will be places you'll get to on the Delhi to Kathmandu.Brought back a lot of memories for us.
And thanks to Avonord for posting it.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby desiree2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 am

Hi

When booking your airfares try a few different configerations. I live in Australia and I've booked the Best of Borneo and then the Colours of Asia tour for June/July. When I was looking at the airfares, the fare for Sydney/Kota Kinabalu then Kuching/Singapore then Bangkok/Sydney was about AUS$2800. However, the Sydney/Kota Kinabalu and Bangkok/Sydney legs came in at AUS$1200 and then I booked the Kuching/Singapore leg separately for AUS$120. The days and the airline (Singapore Air) were exactly the same, I'm not quite sure why it came out differently. Maybe try a few different combinations and you might get a cheaper fare.
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Previous

Return to Travel Tips