Japan Narita Airport Advice

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Japan Narita Airport Advice

Postby sarah86 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:53 am

Hi everyone,

I'm going on the Discover Japan tour in November and wanted to know if there's anyone who's already been on the tour who could give me some advice about arriving at the airport? In particular, I would appreciate any advice on going from the airport to the hotel. My flight lands at 4pm and i've heard it can take up to 2hrs to get to the hotel. What would be the best form of transport to take? Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sarah
sarah86
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Japan Narita Airport Advice

Postby chriso » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Sarah86;

I am not taking this trip but have been to Narita and Tokyo.
I assume the hotel is in Tokyo in which case you could take the train from the airport. I believe it is called the Narita Express with the usual 2 classes available. As for travel time and schedules you should check it out online try http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/ which is a Japan Rail site. Looks like the trip is about 1 hr. depending on what station you go to. You can buy tickets at the airport and it appears that they also sell online with some conditions. Passes are also available.

Japan has a sophisticated rail service so even if your hotel is at Narita city you can take the train there also in about 10 minutes.
Also where the train arrives in Tokyo you will be able to transfer from that station onto another train/subway to get you closer to your hotel. It is a bit intimidating at first but if you check out the route maps on the website and reference to your hotel location you will be able to figure it out.

Bon Voyage
chriso
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby sarah86 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi chriso!

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it! :D
sarah86

Postby Mikeyt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Sarah!

I actually went on the Discover Japan trip in March. :) So, I can tell ya a little bit on what I did.
Oops. Sent this off as a Private Message, but, probably good for everyone to see. :)

Where are you staying first of? I stayed in Shinagawa (The same hotel the tour started in, but, arrived about 5 days earlier to enjoy Tokyo)..

Anyways, SUPER easy disembarking from the plane. Follow the crowds. You will go through customs, they will finger print you and take a photo of ya. Now, when I arrived, I didnt take the train to Tokyo. I took the shuttle bus, I think it was about 30,000 Yen (30 bucks or so?), it arrives fairly often (every 15 mins or so) and took about 90 mins to get to Shinagawa Tokyo.

Super easy to find the Shuttle bus desk. After customs, you will take a escalator down to get your luggage, and quite literally, the desk is right at the bottom of the escalators. :)

I did take the Train when I left Tokyo, was super easy.. but, I dont know exactly how to take the train from the airport to Tokyo.

Any questions? Feel free to ask me, I had a awesome time.
Mikeyt
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Lenny » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello, I will be in Japan next year and appreciate this information about the train and shuttle.
Lenny

Return to Travel Tips