Solo cruise traveler: double or triple ?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Solo cruise traveler: double or triple ?

Postby donate2boinc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:51 am

Hello !

I am hoping that some of the more experienced (Antarctic) cruiers would comment about just how much time a (solo) travler actually spends in their room.

Is it literally only to sleep/shower/etc? If so, for what other reasons would a traveler consider upgrading ($) to a double?

If on the other hand, you spend A LOT of time in your room, I guess I could understand the desire to switch from a triple to a double?

Thoughts anyone?
donate2boinc
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Solo cruise traveler: double or triple ?

Postby TravelFun » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi there, interesting this one. I went to Antarctica in Feb'09 and put my name down to share a twin cabin and on the day found out I didn't have a room-mate...so a cabin to myself. I wasn't sure how I would react on the cruise and was during the days of crossing the Beagle channel (upto 3 days) feeling seasick but more nauseas and spent an hour at a time in my cabin lying down for a rest and then would feel better and go back on the bridge/wander around the ship. I was actually glad I wasn't sharing my cabin at all this time around! It was nice to be able to rest in my own space when I wasn't feeling so great.

Mind you, once we could make landings throughout the day I was fine. Alot of the free time on the ship was spent somewhere on the boat just taking in the spectacular landscapes or whale spotting etc...real fun!

The trip I went on had a fantastic group and everyone really got on and there were no problems with individuals sharing double and triple cabins.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: Solo cruise traveler: double or triple ?

Postby donate2boinc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:11 am

Wow! The cruise-gods were certainly smiling on you!

I know I won't be that fortunate, lol!

I don't mind sharing for sleeping, washing-up, etc, even with two other cabin-mates. Been in the Navy, and have stayed in my fair share of hostels.

Just was concerned, I guess, about a dearth of open/public space for those "at sea" days.

Seems like the M/S Expedition has a lot of open space, and there really shouldn't be a need to spend a lot of "free time" in the cabin itself.

The price difference between a triple and double would pay for my round trip airfare to Ushuaia.

Glad you sailed with a fantastic group. Hope in this respect, I am as fortunate.

Thanx for taking the time to respond!
donate2boinc

Return to Travel Tips