age appropriate-ness

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

age appropriate-ness

Postby rainnie76 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so please forgive me if this is not the right place.

I am looking to travel with my 9 year old daughter. I know that there are family trips, and they do all look enjoyable, but I was wondering if there is any reason why children of her age cannot go on some of the other tours that are simply listed as 'classic' or 'basic'?

Thanks

-Janet
rainnie76
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: age appropriate-ness

Postby sinecure » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 am

I don't believe there is anything preventing you from taking one of these trips, but I would contact a GAP rep directly to be sure.

There are some things that will make it more difficult, accommodation is based on double occupancy so one of you most likely will have to get a second room, as cots are not always an option. Food can be trying if your daughter decides she doesn't like the food offered in your chosen country. These are also vacations for people from around the world so there can be drinking and language.

You know your daughter better than anyone on here and how she may interact with your chosen trip. I encourage you to chat with GAP directly and they will do everything they can to help you make the best decision.

Cheers,
Sinecure
sinecure

Postby desiree2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 am

Hi Janet

I think a lot would depend on where and when you travel. On some trips the days are very long and might include travelling on a bus (NOT a coach) for up to 12 hours. There could be late nights, early mornings, strange food, unpleasant sights and smells, oppressive heat, noisy and overcrowded streets etc. :shock:

My daughter went on her first overseas trip when she was five but it was to Vanuatu. :) We went to Bali when she was 8 but that wasn't a tour. When she was 11 we spent a month in Thailand, but only about 10 days of that was on a tour (in a luxury coach and staying in good quality hotels).

As Sinecure said, you know your daughter best, but if she hasn't travelled overseas before or if you are going to a developing country, or if the tour has covers a lot of distance, it may be very difficult for her and you.

I think travel is fantastic for children and a wonderful experience for families to share but you just have to pick the right trip. If you do that, you should have a great time. :D
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Here are some more pro's and cons:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4943&hilit=+kids
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Reditor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:15 am

Hey Janet!
Between our family tours and certain independent tours like the popular "Costa Rica Pass" trips there are many great travel options. With that said, the minimum age on most tours is 12 years of age.
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor

Return to Travel Tips