Suitcase?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Suitcase?

Postby kanada77 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 am

Hi there,

I'm getting ready to do a two week 'Classic' tour in Italy and then planning to spend an additional week on my own. I've read a number of posts about the reasons why you shouldn't take suitcase (as opposed to a backpack), however, most of these posts are related to more exotic type trips/locations. Am I ok to take a suitcase on a tour? I get the impression that it is frowned upon but I suspect that I need the additional space.

Thanks.
kanada77
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Suitcase?

Postby TravelFun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi kanada77,

Nothing's frowned upon, it just depends where you're travelling too. Some destinations it is easier to have a backpack especially when there's no help, no elevators and where alot of local transport is involved where you will need to 'throw up' your own luggage etc..

As for Italy, a suitcase should suffice but just make sure you are able to carry it up a few flight of stairs just in case elevators aren't available in the accommodations you stay in. Else don't see it as a problem at all. I've only been to Rome and Venice in Italy and found some hotels had small windy staircases with no lifts. Plan to venture the rest of Italy in the very near future.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby marwin24 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 pm

i think take ur suitcase which one lighter durable stylis spacy
and nice journey dear
:)
marwin24

Postby kris_nyc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I didn't take this particular trip, but I traveled independently in Italy from the Amalfi Coast to Milan, taking trains and buses and staying in small B&Bs and hostels with no elevators. I agree with TravelFun. A small, light, carry-on size, soft suitcase with wheels would be best, ideally with handles on the top and the side for easy lifting. Light enough to carry up a few flights of stairs, small enough to fit in the overhead compartments of trains and buses. Wheels can go over cobblestone streets. Definitely pack light. You can always do laundry or buy anything you may need there.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips