'Suitable Suitcases

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

'Suitable Suitcases

Postby marydarce » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am

'Hi all
Ive a dilemma on luggage to bring on a trip through Central and South america, on a 4-5 month trip

Ive got whiplash and tend to get very sore muscles in neck and shoulders so yes youve guessed it a backpack is out of the question, Im going on 3 Gap trips ending up on inca trail. i know i need a day pack, and that other bags are given to us as we go to galapagos and inca trail. I plan to spend some time in argentina and brazil on my own steam.

So i need to find a good duffel bag or a light rolling suitcase/backpack, I am short and female and probably need at least 80-90 litres. Any advice? REI? MEC? Ive looked at Giant bags and they are good but pricey.

thanks...a lot. any advice on discounts for students welcome,... see you in the mountains...
marydarce
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 'Suitable Suitcases

Postby nikimarcotte » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 pm

unfortunately you are going to run across a lot of cobblestones and stairwells where wheels will be virtually useless, i would still opt for a backpack, hopefully you never have to carry it too far and for weight issues i wouldn't go larger than 70L. backpacks are easier to maneuver around and if it is fitted properly, most of the weight should be taken by the waist belt. go try some on and see if it is bearable for getting on and off and carrying when fitted properly...would definitely make your life easier on your travels.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: 'Suitable Suitcases

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:00 pm

80 -90Ltres is WAY WAY too much. You need to be looking at between 50-60L. Seriously.
You WILL NOT be able to lift 90L !!
I travelled for 2.5 yrs with a 65L so I know it can be done.

Have a look at something like the Berghaus optimus 60 which is a soft suitcase on wheels but also has backpack straps so you can carry it on your shoulders if totally necessary down rough roads etc - this is far easier than trying to carry a suitcase in one hand.
Then there is the Bergaus Jalan range - which is actually a proper backpack but again on wheels.
I think Eagle creek also make something similar.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips