optional excursion payment: Euros only?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

optional excursion payment: Euros only?

Postby michelle_bee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:17 pm

just wondering about payment for any optional excursions on my upcoming trip to turkey...in the travel dossier, it mentions payment in Euros...does that mean we cannot pay in local currency? (i'm trying to avoid having to convert money into too many different currencies!) any feedback would be appreciated...
michelle_bee
User Rank: Weekender

Re: optional excursion payment: Euros only?

Postby Zuleika » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:26 am

I havent done this particular trip but I have found in the past that the optionals are merely listed in a hard currency that we can equate to.
ie if GAP listed an optional costing 2.52519 TRY you would probably have no idea that was £50.
Local currency is usually the prefered/best way to go on the optionals I have found.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby michelle_bee » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 am

thanks for your feedback..that does make sense.

i guess, since i'm canadian, the EURO price means about as much to me as the turkish lira anyway!! looks like i'm going to be brushing up on my conversion skills very soon...

found this great conversion site, though. it lets you print off mini wallet-sized versions of conversion charts:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

happy travels, everyone!
michelle_bee

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:39 pm

I believe that turkey is part of the EU, so the euro will eventually become official currency in Turkey..so some day that will be the only currency you need there. i just can't find when exactly they are changing, they seemed to think it would be in the next few years and i was there in 2007, but as far as i know, it hasn't change yet in 2009. Euroes are an easy currency to exchange if you have any leftover, once you pay for optional activities, you can spend them at lots of shops(you will get new turkish lira as change probably), or if you have too much left for that, bring it back home and exchange it at a bank or money exchange. only weaker currencies are hard/impossible to exchange back...and lots of the poorer gov'ts want to keep what currency they have in circualtion within their country so they want you to spend what you get. have a great trip
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby puffin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:55 am

Turkey is a member in NATO but not in the EU. They have applied for a membership in the EU but have to make amendments in some crucial areas, like human rights. And some of the big countries in the EU are opposed to Turkey becoming a member.

Yes, Euros is such a large currency that it's easy to convert, but for every conversion you will always loose some money (unless the currency rate suddenly changes quite a bit in your favor). Therefore it’s wise to make as few conversions as possible.

Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for the original question. Normally I prefer to use the local currency. If you visit Istanbul they have the largest bazaar in the world with some 4 000 shops, so there will be no problem spending money…
puffin

Postby krista_s » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi,
I was in Turkey in October, 2008. The Canadian dollar and the Turkish Lira were pretty comparable in value then.
I'm sorry I can't answer the question about the local payment, but I would say to use Lira. I used my debit card in the bank machines to make withdrawals with no problem. Keep your change though, you'll need it to use the washrooms, which varied in price from 50 Kurus (like 50 cents) to 1 Lira.
And also, someone mentioned the bazaar, it is big, very big, but a lot of stuff seems like junk really. Try the Spice Bazaar too, a little smaller and when I was there it was a little less touristy.
Hope this helps you somewhat.
-Krista
krista_s

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 pm

GAP lists the local payments the way they do for a reason. I believe the local guides bend over backwards to accommodate the clients (Elbie on the DKNV trip sure did) but realize they ARE bending over backwards if they take payment in a currency other than the one stated.

For the Africa trips, the single most flexible and useful currency for the local guide is US dollars -- this was a bit of a problem for my fellow travelers from Canada England, Australia, etc. but it's just a fact of life for the guide and potentially serious pain in the butt for them to get payments in currencies other than the one stated. We had one person on the trip wanting to pay the local payment in travelers checks ...

Personally, I think if GAP says local payment in Euros then plan on getting Euros for it.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 pm

The original question asked is about the OPTIONAL excursions - not the local payment.
Local payment is always in the currency that is stated in the dossier.
I think people are confusing the two.
For the optionals I personally would always prefer to pay in local currency.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Local currency is fine...just pay for the optionals as you go along.

...also, I've paid local payment in local currencies before without any problems. Just my two-pence on this one :?

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby doblechoco » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 am

very interesting! thanks a lot for sharing it with us..

[color#ECF3F7=]commission de surendettement[/color] - commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.
doblechoco
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Travel Tips