Backpacking for Women

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Backpacking for Women

Postby Wanderlust83 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey All,

It's time to break away from suitcase travel and be more adventurous!!!I'm a single, female traveler looking to purchase my first backpack for some upcoming trips I have booked (the longest duration being 4 weeks).

I'm looking for any advice on reputable make/brand. Also, would you recommend a 40L or 50L backpack? (I've already started doing some research myself, and any back larger than 50L is out of the question!).

There's probably already a thread for this somewhere in the Forum, but I'm hoping to get some udated information.

Thanks!
Wanderlust83
Wanderlust83
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Backpacking for Women

Postby mrzeszow » Fri May 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi,

I can't really recommend any brands, but I might be able to mention some features I discovered the hard way. Not sure if they'll help, but, here they are.

The size, really depends. You can find a 40L pack, and it will be sufficient if you're a great packer, but if you find you're always going to be attaching things to the outside then it's better to buy one size bigger and leave the extra space empty when you don't need it. I personally like having the option of both, so I have a slightly larger pack, I leave it partially empty when I leave, and then I fill it along the way when I buy souvenirs. I also like being able to attach things like sleeping bags/mats/tent/shoes/water bottles to the outside of the pack so I look for daisy chains and loop holes for carabiners/straps on the outside of any pack I buy.

The pack/day pack combos are very popular, and I'm a fan. But I tend to wear my day pack on my front instead of attaching it to the main pack. I found having the day pack on my back put me off balance. Having it on my front helps me balance when I walk and I like having things like my passport and map right in front of me. I use carabiners to attach the day pack to loop holes on the main packs shoulder packs.

I highly recommend buying a pack specific for a female. I've used both and the female packs had better hip straps which make a big difference on long hikes. Having adjustable harness is also helpful, so you can set it to accommodate your back length. And fat/cushioned shoulder straps help prevent it digging into your shoulder . If the sternum strap adjusts up and down it helps so you can place it above the chest. I look for lightweight packs that are durable and have a padded harness.

Besides that all other features are completely personal choices. I am very partial to front loaders (help finding things in main compartment), as well as having multiple compartments for organization. Fave feature is the harness cover for the plane and the hidden away rain cover. Having double zippers on all compartments allows you to put locks on. For some reason I found many packs didn't have this. Hidden compartments are also nice, but I tend to just saw in my own.

Hope this helps.
mrzeszow
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Zuleika » Fri May 29, 2009 3:02 pm

I defo second having a backpack with specific womens fit. My first one was a 65L Berghaus womens fit and i used it for 15 years - 3x RTW trips totalling 3.5yrs and loads of smaller trips - it was brill and comfy and fit perfectly!
I went for 65L - i wanted half empty as opposed to stuffed full. And when I camp it can also fit my sleeping bag/thermarest and pillow. It also has straps on the outside so if I do toooo much shopping the sleeping bag straps neatly onto the outside.
I had top loader which didnt lock - but after travelling for so long it was well scruffy looking that no one would even think of look twice at it for stealing anything!!! LOL

Another thing I have seen recently is the Berghaus Optimus range - which is a backpack with wheels - looks good!
Last edited by Zuleika on Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby mrzeszow » Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I agree with the scruffy pack, mine is so well 'loved' but I just refuse to replace it. Walking down the street I look so poor that most people don't consider robbing me (or at least that's what I like to think).

My last pack was a top loader, to organize myself I divided all my things between zip lock bags. I found they were a great help to squish my stuff down, and when looking for something it was easy to pull out a few zip lock bags and stuff them back in, instead of removing everything from the pack. Also a big help when my pack got soaked (hotel flooded, I no longer leave everything on the floor, lesson learned :) ).

I love the straps on the outside of my pack. Same here, I use it for traveling as well as back country camping. Big help when I strap all my camping gear to the outside. In Europe I used it to strap rolls of paintings to the side, multi purpose :D.
mrzeszow

Postby janer » Sat May 30, 2009 9:35 am

I am 5'0" and carry an 80L usually. Yes, totally unnecessary, but I do leave with half of it empty, and that's with a sleeping bag in it. I also usually come back with it full. The waist straps are really important. haha don't ask how i get the bag on my back when it's filled to the brim.
janer
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby mrzeszow » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:34 pm

:D I'm so glad I'm not the only girl that carries a larger pack. I'm a bit taller, 5'6", and my pack is 80L plus 10L day pack. My trick is, I always put the pack on a chair, squat, put on the shoulder straps and then stand up. Or sometimes, I have to put it against a tree and put it on like that. I learned not to ask the boys for help, my friends are unforgiving, so paraphrasing "if you can't lift and carry your own pack, throw out half the $*!+ you bought". They're right :?
mrzeszow

Postby Myosotis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm

My advice is: Travel light but with a big pack. I use a 50L + 10. ( I have a 10L extension)... It's because I like shopping. I usually buy clothes, art, etc. And I like to have space enough to bring back my things in one pack only. But it depends of your priorities and your style.
About brands, I use Vaude bags for women. My main pack as well as my daypack are Vaude.
Myosotis

Postby nawirl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 pm

I just did 3 weeks with a 40L small pack. The trick is to roll your clothes. My pack loaded weighed 20 pounds and there was only 1 item I never used. I did leave some stuff behind and bought new stuff too. My pack is a bargain brand and I've used it forever. The little TSA master locks work great between two zipper pulls or even around the strap clasps. I am a female and dont know if I would notice a difference between "womens" or mens packs. I probably couldve used a 50L .
nawirl
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Wanderlust83 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 am

Hi Ladies,

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. You've given me a lot to think about while I'm shopping for a backpack this summer.

Happy Travels!
Wanderlust83
Wanderlust83

Postby poweredbytofu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 pm

I vote for a small bag! I traveled around the world for a year with my Marmot Diva 35L (2100 cu in), and I had plenty of room. Here's the list of the insane amount of stuff I packed into it: http://www.poweredbytofu.com/2009/05/05 ... orld-trip/