What are the best trips to do alone?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What are the best trips to do alone?

Postby trek girl » Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 pm

My usual traveling companion is doing a long bike trip way beyond my athletic ability.
trek girl
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What are the best trips to do alone?

Postby TravelFun » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Gosh, there's so much you can do by yourself. There's some factors to consider but these are on a personal note such as, language barrier, ease of local transport vs hire a vehicle, confidence of travelling in a new country, knowledge of destination (may involve alot of research beforehand), activity and interests.

Staying in hostels provides ample opportunity to meet new people, join people on activities organised by the hostel and/or by individuals...pretty much the backpackers route which most follow from the Lonely Planet.

I'm from the UK so I will do alot of Western Europe by myself especially city breaks. I have joined groups (through adventure companies) if I want to do some trekking, feel unfamiliar with a place or just lack of time to organise things myself.

Join a G Adventures trip and you'll have your own time and group time plus will be travelling with like-minded individuals :wink:

I know it's a cliche but the world is your oyster :P

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

I agree with TravelFun, you can go anywhere. Browse through the list of trips here and sign up for one! All of the trips I've taken with G Adventures have included a mix of singles and couples. They are small groups so you get to know everyone pretty well. Meals are usually spent together and the afternoon's/next day's activities are discussed. Any optional activities are done by some or all of the group and it's usually by open invitation to the group at meals, ie one or more will ask the rest if they want to come along. You'll have the freedom to go alone of you want but also the ability to go with others if that's what you want. My husband and I have taken our mid-20s daughter with us and she joins us on optional activities sometimes and other times she goes with others in the group. It's a nice dynamic, no pressure. You can also stay back in the hotel and rest if that's your choice, too! It's a chance to see places you might hesitate to visit alone and it's also nice to relax and have someone else take care of the details of hotels and meals.
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby ballu » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 pm

I've done all of my trips as a solo traveller...6 and counting...so far I've never been the only solo traveller.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby belihann » Fri May 24, 2013 12:37 am

Hi
I've done Turkey and Africa with G Adventures and I've met a lot of solo travellers. Ask yourself what country(ies) you want to visit and the activities you want to do. Once you have an answer to these, go to GAdventures' website and peruse the tours that closely matches what you like. You can then phone and speak to one of their agents - extremely helpful in answering questions!
Hope this helps. BH
belihann
User Rank: Weekender

Postby lesliew » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 am

I think any G adventure would probably be good solo, so I agree with belihann - just pick the place YOU want to go! I went to Tanzania solo with G and had a fantastic time - I was not the only solo traveler and even the people who were there with others made me feel like I was a part of their group. The G groups are usually pretty small and no one feels left out. I'm going solo to the Arctic next month with G and can't wait!

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am

Hi there,
Jumping on a small group journey with someone like G Adventures is a fabulous way for single travellers to see the world and make friends along the way. I have been on more than 5 such journeys (with G and a very similar company) and on 2 occasions have been the only single traveller so would give this advice... Pick tours aimed at the slightly younger market - yolo and less expensive accommodation options. Not because older people on tour are less fun, interesting or welcoming but because the higher the price, you'll find the accommodation tends to be in hotels/lodges and this has less communal time. For example; I was the only single traveller on a lodge safari and after dinner most people retired to their rooms to relax whereas when I was the only single traveller on a camping safari we woud all spend our time around the campfire after dinner and chat or play card games. Everyone is different but that is just my opinion. Hope this helps, Sarah
sarahfromaustralia

Postby georginal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Definitely solo. Then you just have to decide whether to take a tour, or go really solo and just book yourself in. A bit of both work for me. Worth booking through a Travel Agent and paying for flights by Credit Card just for the piece of mind more than anything else.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lesliew » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:21 pm

I agree with the recommendation on shared accomodations. I just returned from my trip to the Arctic on the MS Expedition and sharing a room with others definitely helped me make friends. There is the option to have your own room, but most of the single passengers did the cheaper option of sharing a room. It really helped me make friends from Day 1; in fact, one of my roommates and I ended up hanging out together throughout most of the trip. I still keep in touch with two of my roommates, as well as a couple of other single travelers I met.

lesliew

Postby celial » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 pm

I've always traveled either by myself or with just one other person, making our own arrangements and plans, and being free to be spontaneous. This year I took my first trip with a group, a G tour in Peru. It totally laid to rest all my (substantial) reservations about group travel! I had a lot of ideas of what group travel involved, based on what I had observed during my travels. None of it happened on the G tour. We weren't rushed around (think 20 minutes for a restaurant lunch in Italy, or 1 hour in the Louvre), there was room for spontanaity , everyone was considerate and compatible. A well-planned tour, and having a knowledgeable CEO make suggestions for free time and arrange special things (I chose the Cusco Stay on a tour that offered that as an alternative to an Inca Trail trek; our CEO suggested an extra day at Machu Picchu), meant that I got to do things I wouldn't have been able to on my own. And having someone else make the transportation and lodging arrangements was a huge convenience. Plus, I made new friends and now have more potential travel companions! So, if you don't want to go by yourself, just pick a tour with G to a place that interests you, and go!
celial

Return to Travel Tips