KENYA & TANZ. CAMPING SAFARI vs. KENYA & TANZ. OVERLAND

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

KENYA & TANZ. CAMPING SAFARI vs. KENYA & TANZ. OVERLAND

Postby helix » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm planning a trip to Kenya & Tanzania next winter. I've been thinking of going on one of these tours but can't decide which one. Anyone been on these tours? What do you think? What are the pros and cons you could think of?

Kenya and Tanzania Overland ( http://www.gadventures.com/trips/kenya- ... DKTO/2013/):

+ Half of the price (1500€)
+ 10 days of which only two days are spent JUST for driving (without any game viewing)
+ 10 days - easier to get that time off from work
+ less driving hours (less days too though... 40,5 hrs), only one day with more than 6 hours of driving
+ Same time spent in Masai Mara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro than with K&T Camping Safari - still half the price
+ the tour ends in Nairobi - so no traveling alone from Arusha to Nairobi

- 10 days - don't go to Samburu
- Game drives done with the overland truck and not a small car/game viewer (except Ngorongoro). This is probably the biggest cons. for me...

Kenya and Tanzania Camping Safari (http://www.gadventures.com/trips/kenya- ... DKTW/2013/)

+ Goes to Samburu Game Reserve
+ All game drives done with small cars / game viewers (this is the main "pro" for me)
+ Higher service level (i don't really care about that)

- Double the price (3000€!). Does it really give me that much more?
- 15 days (harder to get that time off from work)
- more driving hours (54 hrs), 6 long driving days (8 hrs/day)
- three days spent only for driving without any game viewing
- I'm traveling alone so i might have to travel from Arusha to Nairobi on my own and i don't feel really comfortable with that (i'm a young, blond woman and will be traveling with an expensive camera kit and a laptop). I know that Gadventures can arrange this leg but it will still be me traveling with local taxi driver. And it's a long drive!

As you can see it looks like I've already decided to take the overland tour but it's not that easy. I just can't decide whether it's worth of extra 1500€ to go to Samburu and use a small car instead of overland truck for game drives. And do I want to take a risk that I need to travel from Arusha to Nairobi on my own?

What should i do?
helix
User Rank: Traveller

Re: KENYA & TANZ. CAMPING SAFARI vs. KENYA & TANZ. OVERLAND

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 pm

I did the Kenya/Tanzania camping safari with my husband and daughter so I can only comment on it and not the other but it was awesome! We considered the overland trip, too, but decided we wanted more game viewing and less village/tea visit time. The long driving days did include game viewing, and rest stops at cool places for snacks/meals so it wasn't just being stuck in the van/jeep for hours.
My points:
Samburu was our favourite game park. We saw the most variety of animals there of all the parks. The campsite is very basic but you are right in the park with the animals...baboons at the table for meals (one of the guys keeps them away with a stick and a slingshot!), and at the toilets. Samburu has the Northern Five you won't see at the other parks, including big herds of oryx. Small vehicles are great if you want to stop. We had 6 per van in Kenya and 7 per jeep in Tanzania. If we called "Stop" the driver stopped and stayed put until we had taken whatever pictures we wanted. The driver was in with us where we could ask questions and they were really knowledgeable. With only one person per side there was room for us all the get along whatever side the game was on. Two nights in each park meant game drive to the campsite the first evening, early morning the next day, village visit or town tour in the afternoon, evening game drive, then early morning game drive on way out to next park. Lots and lots of game viewing on this trip. The two village visits were amazing and seemed authentic, the people very welcoming and with so few of us we were able to ask what questions we wanted and get inside the houses. Also, it was nice at the end of the day to have the tents ready, and food being prepared. My daughter took advantage of the chance to assist the cook and learned some great recipes, and some Swahili!
The trip from Arusha back to Nairobi concerned us as well. Some of us opted to fly (and took a shared cab to the airport) but others in our group took the bus. What we hadn't realized was that the tour guide also took the same bus because he meets the group in Nairobi for the next tour, to bring them by bus back to Arusha! You could ask if that will be the case and the take the bus back with him. Either way you're likely to have someone with you.
I think you get closer to the animals and have more opportunities to stop at will on the camping safari so pictures might be better. Also, in the Serengeti a lion wandered to our jeep and fell asleep at the back because our jeeps were the only shade for miles. The guys in our other jeep got an amazing pic for us that might not have been possible if we were all in the overland truck :lol:
I would recommend this tour but you have to decide what works for you. Whatever you choose it will be amazing and you will love it!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby helix » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for your reply! You made my decision even harder! Now I feel that the camping safari might be better than the overland tour... :D Any other opinions?

btw, i HATE baboons (and monkeys)! Absolutely HATE them. I've been living in South Africa (inside a big 5 game reserve) and baboons and monkeys caused so many problems. But that's just a thing you have to accept if you want to travel in Africa. ;)
helix

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am

I did the overland trip a few years ago when it was a 13 day trip. I thouroughly enjoyed it however as the trip stands now I would easily choose the 15 day camping safari. Just the fact alone that it spends 2 1/2 days in the Seregenti is a winner for me. To only spend one day in the Serengeti, which is an incredible place to be, would be a shame.

If you have the money and time, I would do the 15 day camping safari.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East