Tanzania, Zanzibar, & Uganda: Packing Questions!!!

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tanzania, Zanzibar, & Uganda: Packing Questions!!!

Postby skuehn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:30 pm

I am headed to East Africa in a few weeks and I have a few questions about what to pack! For reference I am doing Tanzania Encompassed and Uganda and Gorillas Overland.

Both packing lists suggest bringing a bathing suit. Being from California, I foresee the current bathing suits I own to be too revealing for East African standards. I'm wondering what activities require bathing suits and what type of suits are acceptable.

Also, I am concerned about being cold on the ascent of Kili. What sort of heavy jacket should I bring? Is a ski jacket too bulky or unnecessary? I'm trying to balance packing for extreme cold and warm moist rain forest weather. It's very challenging!!!

Thanks for your help!
skuehn
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tanzania, Zanzibar, & Uganda: Packing Questions!!!

Postby coqui14 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am

Hello, there are several posting about what kind of coat you should wear for Kilimanjaro already in the boards, and may give you a broader view of what other people wore. It get cold and windy as you approach the summit. Just to give you an example, my water turn into solid ice on the last day. I did not use a full parka and I will recommend to wear layers. I used an undershirt, shirt, flees and a windbreaker double layer jacket outside. Get a good pair of gloves and good wool socks. Also the "thinner" jackets will be useful in other places as it get cold at night.

On the beach in Zanzibar you can wear wherever you want... is full of Europeans wearing small swimsuits. You may need your swimwear to go snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming or just playing on the beach. I will recommend to do scuba diving in Zanzibar (amazing). And get a Savannah Dry for me while you are there...

Remember, you can leave some of the luggage behind while doing Kili and only carry what you need for the 5-6 days hike. There is enough space in the jeeps for your big luggage. I believe everyone in my group has a sizeable backpack and usually an extra piece to accommodate everything you need. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

J
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East