Vaccinations apart from Yellow Fever

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Vaccinations apart from Yellow Fever

Postby wamaggot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 am

Hi all

Travelling from Nairobi to Vic Falls in a couple of months, and was wondering what experiences past travellers had with vaccinations? I know, as an Australian, that the Yellow Fever is mandatory if I've been through Kenya at least, but I believe that there are no other compulsory vaccines in any of those countries. However have any travellers (having been through Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi or Zambia) have been advised to get any other shots? I've been unofficially told (not by any health professionals mind you) to get things like rabies, meningococcal, anti malaria shots?

Thanks for your help
wamaggot
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Vaccinations apart from Yellow Fever

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:06 am

Kenya and Tanzania I was advised by a travel medicine clinic to get Hepatitis A and B, polio update, typhus, tetanus update, meningitis if I was going to northern Kenya, and malaria tablets. You're right, except for yellow fever they aren't required but it seems prudent to take whatever precautions you can for things that are not under your control!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby markmol » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:19 am

hi
i contacted the travel doctor in Perth, filled in a form online, told them where i was going & they told me what i needed, they have all the vaccinations on site, made an appointment easy as. I am sure they are in all states in Aus.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby katbird » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Try this website to give you an idea, but really you need to speak to a doctor about your individual needs.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

Happy traveling!
katbird

Postby lesliew » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 pm

I went to Tanzania and got the vaccines for Hepatitis A and B, polio, typhoid, yellow fever, MMR update, and tetanus update, plus got malaria pills to take while there. I was advised that rabies wasn't really necessary since, if you get bitten, you still have to get shots regardless.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nataliejuk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 am

Like most people above, I have been told to get Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus & Yellow Fever.

I am from the UK, and our NHS uses this mapping system to see if you need malaria as it shows the areas & whether its recommended or not; http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa.aspx

I didn't get vaccinations for the following, as they cost a lot of money - They also told me not to drink water out of taps (only bottled water to avoid getting cholera in Zambia/Zimbabwe) and avoid dogs (so I don't rabies)
nataliejuk
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jujohnston » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 am

I agree with everyone above, I did end up getting the rabies vaccine as a precaution, makes you feel somewhat cruddy but knowing that you are protected is better, especially as my trip is including being around animals. Definitely get the Hepatitis A and B, polio, typhoid, yellow fever, MMR update, malaria pills, make sure your tetanus is up to date and depending on where you live I also received the flu shot as an extra caution.
jujohnston

Postby nipride211 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm

i just went around with this topic. visit the CDC website in atlant, ga, usa for up to date info. also the world health organization. yellow fever is NOT required for a kenyan visa UNLESS you are returning from kenya to an area where yellow fever is endemic. so north america europe etc you do not have to have it unless you leave africa and go to to south america (brazil) for ex. HOWEVER, u do need it for tanzania so if thats a possibility best to obtain the vaccine.
nipride211

Postby alikatroams » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if a yellow fever shot that was given more than 10 years ago would be accepted? The WHO has a factsheet that a single dose is good for life, a booster is no longer required, however, this seems to be a new development for the yellow fever vaccine. Any experience at the borders with an older vaccination? Thanks.
alikatroams

Postby 1b339135469a876baf78b43177fdc4 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:28 pm

yellow fever is good for 10 years only
1b339135469a876baf78b43177fdc4

Return to Africa and Middle East