Kenya Camping Safari July 10-19

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kenya Camping Safari July 10-19

Postby jujohnston » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 am

Hi, this is my first time to a 3rd world country. I am arriving the day before this trip begins and have decided to only bring the big "backpack" that all typical backpackers wear, and not worry about proper luggage. Is this a good course of action, my hope by doing this would be I don't have to check my baggage, this way it can't get lost?
jujohnston
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kenya Camping Safari July 10-19

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm

It depends on the airline but usually big backpacks are too big to bring on the plane as carry-on. If you haven't already booked flights you might arrange them so there's ample time during any layovers to allow airport staff time to get the checked bags to the next flight! We only allowed 3 hours at Charles de Gaulle in Paris (horrible airport) and our luggage didn't make it to Nairobi until the next day. Luckily we arrived two days early so we got our luggage before the tour left.
Take a change of clothes and some essentials with you in your carry-on just in case. It's an amazing place, don't let lost luggage spoil your trip! One of the guys in our group was hiking Kili the week after our tour finished. ALL of his hiking stuff had been stolen from his checked bag before he picked it up :shock: However, he went out and bought replacement stuff after he left us, and later sent us a picture of himself at the top, shiny new jacket/boots/and all!
Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Re: Kenya Camping Safari July 10-19

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 am

Hi there,
The big packback you speak of will be too large to take as "carry on" luggage. Most airlines have a weight limit of 7kg for hand luggage and the bag must fit certain size requirements also. Depending on where you are flying from and your transit stop (if any), and as long as you ticket has been issued under one PNR then your bags will be taken all the way through. If you booked with a travel agent they will be able to confirm all of this for you.
Hope this helps, Sarah
sarahfromaustralia
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Africa and Middle East