Okavango delta Mokoro excursion

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Okavango delta Mokoro excursion

Postby dan3005 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi guys. I'm doing the botswana and fall overland in June. We have a 2 day 1 night excursion into the delta. The trip the says the delta entrance fee and mokoro excursion is included. So does that mean all the game walks are included so no cost will be incurred over those days apart from tipping the guides??? Cheers. :D
dan3005
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Okavango delta Mokoro excursion

Postby collywobbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm

hi dan3005 :D

I did the dunes delta falls trip overland in 2010 and the trip to the Okavango delta mokoro was part of the trip. You have to travel by mokoro to get to the camp area . It is a fantastic trip. the people who paddle the mokoro pick who the want in there mokoro . Everything used for camping is taken in the mokoro except the kitchen sink :lol: As you lay back and enjoy the ride to the camp site and observe all around you its brill. We did a sunset trip to see hippos and yes we did see them . You can hear them a mile off :lol: . we did a sunrise trip/game walk around the delta which was great. Did not see much animals but it was a great walkabout. wear shoes or runners. Some of our group went swimming in the delta. It was freezing but it was in August. a great cooling off time. As for tipping our guide gave a recommendation and it was up to us if that is what we want to pay. It was well worth the tip. The guides really looked after us. At night we sat around campfire . singing songs and the guides did the same. Watch out for elephants . They do tend to roam nearby. If you need any more info please ask away. It was my favourite part of the trip.I have some pictures of the delta on www.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles

cheers :D p.s don't forget the toilet roll.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby dan3005 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. Great info. I see your trip went to livingstone. What's it like there. Is it safe to walk around the town by yourself? How do you get the optional activities? Does you in the truck etc??
dan3005

Postby collywobbles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:18 pm

hi dan3005 :D

When we arrived in Livingstone we went to the campsite. There are onsite agents there if you want to do optional trips. Most of us took some trips . There are a great many to choose from.As a group we did the sunset cruise or the booze cruise which was great. I did the helicopter ride over the falls, the lion walk which was 1 of my favourite trips. a few of us took a taxi to the falls which is not too far away and spent some time at the falls. It was safe in general to walk around alone. usual percautions in place and common sense. Not sure what you meant about truck??..

Cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby dan3005 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks, that clears things up. What's the sunset cruise like?
dan3005

Postby dan3005 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Also I take I take it taxis are easily accessible at the campsite? They have numbers etc?
dan3005

Postby collywobbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Hiya :D

The sunset cruise was actually quiet good. We boarded about 6pm and headed down the river . while we were on the river there is a bar where we could have drinks beer, soft drinks, wine and we also had food which was pretty good. I think we spent about 2 3 hours on the river . When it got very dark we headed back. I think everyone had a great time. There was no massive binge drinking just a few drinks and food . a good time had by all. And yes taxis are readily available from the campsite . reception will call one for you. reasonable enough. When we were leaving to fly home most of us got taxis to airport and it was fine . no problems.

Enjoy your trip its a great area to explore.

cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby dan3005 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Really looking forward to it now!!!
dan3005

Postby dan3005 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm

One final thing, Was your campsite the Zambezi waterfront campground by the river?
dan3005

Postby georginal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes it was.
georginal

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi dan3005 :D

Yes it was. Up grade to the permanent tents for the night if available. Comfy bed :lol:
:lol:
collywobbles

Postby dan3005 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Sounds good! Might need that after 8 days camping!
dan3005

Postby dan3005 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for reply again, Can I just ask how you charged your camera?? What adapter did you need??? Cheers. :D
dan3005

Postby collywobbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi dan3005 :D

I used a Nikon d40x camera and a pocket point and shoot. I had one of those plugs for Africa which I used to charge my batteries. I took 3 batteries with me and I did not need to charge that often. A lot of the campsites had plugs you could use to charge up and if you did not mind waiting around. It depended on how many people wanted to charge up. we were using an older version of a truck so we had no way of charging up in the truck. I think they are using newer models now so you may have a better chance to charge up.When we stayed at the a frame houses in Swapkomund and the lodge in Windhok charging up was no problem. Easy way to make sure bring plenty of back up batteries and memory cards :)
collywobbles

Postby dan3005 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks. I just ordered some spare camera batteries. :D
dan3005

Next

Return to Africa and Middle East