S.A/Nambia/Zambia/Botswana Game Viewing in Jan/Feb

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

S.A/Nambia/Zambia/Botswana Game Viewing in Jan/Feb

Postby rrjz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi
I am wondering if anyone has some feedback on game viewing in these areas in Jan/Feb? The weather and heat are not a problem but not seeing any animals would be. I am not a bird person, and have read that game viewing is virtually impossible but that birds are plentiful at this time of year. I don't mind seeing just a few animals, as long as they are somewhat close and not in the far off distance. I'd rather hold off on taking the trip if that is the case.
I guess my questions are:
1. Has anyone been to any of these areas during these months?
2. Is game viewing really difficult?
3. Will we see any of the big 5?
4. Will the weather stop any of the optional activities? ie: skydiving, Okavango delta Moroko, Vic Falls?

The trip will be fantastic no matter what time of year but I would hate to go all the way to Africa and the highlight being that we saw a meerkat. lol

Any suggestions or feedback (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.
rrjz
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: S.A/Nambia/Zambia/Botswana Game Viewing in Jan/Feb

Postby bioteach » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Several years ago, we did a G Adventures tour that went from Johannesburg up through Botswana, to Zambia (Vic Falls), back through Botswana, returning to Jo'burg. In Kruger, we saw all of the Big 5 except leopards, and we saw them very close up. Also, lots of giraffes, and impalas. As we travelled through Botswana, we often saw zebras and elephants close to the road. Lots of birds, too. I certainly wouldn't be worried about not seeing wildlife during January and February. We were able to camp in the Okavango, and travelled in mokoros with no problem. The only disadvantage we found to travelling at that time was that it was the rainy season in those areas. We found most of the rain seemed to come at night, so our day activities were not affected, but it did mean we were often rolling up damp tents in the morning.
bioteach
User Rank: Traveller

Postby rrjz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the message. It has given me some hope that we will see some wildlife. I am going to stick with my dates and hope for the best. Thanks again.
rrjz

Postby georginal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Got all the big 5 and the rest several times over on Cape Town- Livingstone Dec/Jan 2010-11.

Sure its the drier side of the season which is where I think this question stems from, but yes, you will see the animals!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby rrjz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:42 pm

[quote="georginal"]Got all the big 5 and the rest several times over on Cape Town- Livingstone Dec/Jan 2010-11.

Thanks! Thats great to hear! I know it won't be the best time of year to see wildlife but glad to hear we will see some. Now I can find something else to worry about. :lol:
rrjz

Postby hannahxo- » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:49 am

Hey!
i went to Africa the in January and February this year
apparently wet season! a load of rubbish
went to UGANDA, KENYA, TANZANIA, MALAWI, ZAMBIA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, AND SOUTH AFRICA
weather was amazing, really hot,
went on the mokoros and a hippo was only a few metres away!!!
everyone on my trip did skydive in Namib, they said it was really good
there is a lot of birdlife but also i saw loads of animals
in Namibia, we saw 1 or 2 leapords, loads of lions, spring bok, and all the other general animals
didnt see cheetah or meercats :(
rest of my group saw lots of animals on the cruises in botswana
Namibia is awesome!!
recommend sandboarding too! great price!
it reached 50 degrees, when at Etosha National Park, we were caught in a thunderstorm, loads of lightning and rain, it was pretty awesome
and we were by the watering hole, and a rhino came over was good,! and heard lions roar in the middle of night whilst it was thundering etc!
so yeah definitely go to Africa in Jan/Feb
i was slightly worried about booking for them cause all the websites were like avoid jan and feb!
hope this helps!
hannahxo-
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby rrjz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the reply!! Your message was exactly what I was looking for. Its awesome to know that we will still see lots of animals. Your message has given me some relief that I picked an ok time of year to go back to Africa!
rrjz

Postby helix » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I've been living in SA, close to KNP (Kruger) and went there often year around. I've almost always seen loads of game in KNP and those times we saw barely anything have been year around as well. The main problem with Limpopo/Mpumalanga area (north east) in SA is that it often has heavy rains that sometimes cause bad floods and often they have to close down some roads.

I've been to Zambia, Botswana and Namibia in late December/early January (with Gadventures) and we had a great trip! We saw quite a lot of game in Botswana (make sure you take all the optional game drives and cruises!). The cruise we did (in Botswana) was great! We saw loads of antelopes and elephants (swimming and trying to mate in the water) and hyenas, antelopes, lions etc on an optional game drive. In Okawango we saw some antelolopes, zebras(?) and hippos of course. In Etosha we saw loads of different antelopes, zebras, jackals, mongooses, giraffes, etc.

All the activities in Swakopmund were available - and there's loads of options!

If you like VERY HOT weather and don't mind the rain (in Namibia it didn't rain at all when i went there...), jan/feb should be a good time to go. :)
helix

Postby rrjz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks Helix for the reply. All of the replies so far have been helpful but I am glad someone that lives in the area replied. I am glad to hear we will still see game. I plan on doing all the game drives I can fit in, along with as many optional activities as possible. HOT weather does not usually bother me too much. Rain can bother me if its nothing but rain, this sounds more like Thunderstorms passing through the areas. Thunderstorms can be awesome! Taking pictures of the lightening and of a storm in the distance will make for some good pictures I hope.
I was going to do the trip from Livingston to Cape Town but really wanted to see KNP thats why I chose this trip, it includes KNP. Hopefully between Etosha & KNP and everything in between I think there should be lots of game that we will see.
Its going to be a great trip, I can't wait. :D
rrjz

Return to Africa and Middle East