Jerusalem?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Jerusalem?

Postby worldtravelguy » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has done the Jerusalem extension for Egypt/Jordan? or has been there in general at all? I'm thinking of doing some extra days after my tour, and would love to go there, but wondering if it's worth it or if there's any issues going between Jerusalem and Jordan.

Also, Israel Explorer :)
worldtravelguy
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Jerusalem?

Postby avonord » Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm

I was in Jerusalem last summer on my own. I didn't go to Jordan or Egypt on the same trip. But I read that certain Arab countries would refuse you entry if you have an Israeli visa on your passport. I don't believe Jordan is one of those countries though. There were tours to Petra operating out of Jerusalem.

But to answer your question, Jerusalem was amazing. I went to turkey on the same trip. Jerusalem and Cappadocia were the two most memorable places on the whole trip. So, u can imagine how much i liked it.

Let me know if u have any specific questions.
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby avonord » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Just to be clear though, I'm not religious. But I love the history (albeit violent) of the place. Read and watch documentaries before going. You will appreciate it a lot more.
avonord

Postby l_amby » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 am

Israel is a great country to be a tourist in - it is easy and people are really friendly og helpful.
I lived there for a while, and took trips to both Jordan (mainly Petra) and Egypt - and I can highly recommend it! Petra is really special (try and go there both during night and day) it is really amazing! So if possible - take some extra days and go to these places as well!
l_amby
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby avonord » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 am

By my estimation at the time, I needed 4 days to see everything I want to see in Jerusalem. And minimum 2 days in Telaviv. A tour to Petra from jerusalem needs a minimum of 2 full days.

Since I only had a week in Israel, Petra was out of the question. :(
avonord

Postby worldtravelguy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Interesting! Luckily Petra is included in my trip!

Do you think the "Jerusalem Extension" from Jordan is enough days? It says it's two days for my trip (I'm doing "Egypt and Jordan Adventure" with the Jerusalem optional extension)

Day 1:
Meet and assist at Allenby Bridge by our representative then transfer to Jericho, visit Sycamore Tree, view Mt. Temptation, then continue to Jerusalem, Mt. of Olives, panoramic view of the Old City of Jerusalem, visit Patter Noster Church, Ascension, walk the Palm Sunday Road, Gethsemane Garden then to the hotel for overnight

Day 2:
After breakfast, check out from the hotel, enter to the old city of Jerusalem, walk the 14th Station of Via Dolorosa ending at the Holy Sepulcher Church, then transfer to Bethlehem, visit the Nativity Church, Shepherds Filed, then back to Allenby Bridge.

Also, Israel Explorer :)
worldtravelguy

Postby avonord » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Well. You are joining a tour, so time is going to be compressed. Those are good highlights for sure. I took my time exploring, so it took more time.

For instance, I took a minibus from the Arab side of Jerusalem to Mt of Olive, and then walked down to the city of david, before heading back to the old city. That took most of a day.

The only notable thing missing from your two days itinerary is the Tomb of Virgin Mary on Mt of Olive. It was one of the most atmospheric place I experienced in Jerusalem.

And if you can handle it and if you enjoy riding bikes, consider joining this. It was quite an experience for me. Highly recommended.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Re ... trict.html
avonord

Return to Africa and Middle East