How Cold?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How Cold?

Postby lil_muse » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am

Hi,
Me and my partner are heading out to Kenya and Uganda at the end of August/beginning of September and will be camping. I'm wondering if anyone knows how cold it gets out there at night around that time of year? Trying to decide what kind of sleeping bag to take. I have a 2 season one that has a comfort limit of 11c but wondering if i should invest in something a bit warmer as do tend to feel the cold. Any info appreciated :D
lil_muse
User Rank: Weekender

Re: How Cold?

Postby lvs2trvl » Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd be interested in this same answer but for travelling mid October to November and for someone that's normally warm. :)

Cheers,
Dawn
~The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page ~ St. Augustine
lvs2trvl

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 am

I was in Kenya/Tanzania mid to end of July. It depends on the park. My husband and I normally feel the cold too so we bought sleeping bags rated to -10'C. We went to Samburu and absolutely BAKED in our tents! Even lying on top of the sleeping bags we were too warm. Lake Nakuru was humid but warm enough that we didn't need our sleeping bags. Masai Mara was a little cooler but we were in a permanent tented camp and didn't use our sleeping bags. Tanzania was cooler but you're not going there so no matter. We definitely needed the warmer bags there.
It also depends on whether or not you plan to do more trips like this. We rented in Peru since we were not campers and thought it was a one-time thing to be out in the wilderness. We discovered that although we don't like camping at home it may be the best and only way to see some places! We decided since then to invest in sleeping bags that will work for other trips regardless of the climate, barring North/South Poles! I'm thinking the bag you have should be okay for your trip. You'll be up around the latitude of Samburu in Uganda so you may have the same weather?
We loved Kenya and Tanzania...planning a trip to Uganda and Rwanda to see the gorillas at some point.
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby catraveller » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I was in Kenya/Tanzania for the first few weeks of September. It did get cooler at night. I had my sleeping bag from Kili with me which was likely overkill, but I tend to feel the cold anyways. Some nights I slept with it open and almost always slept in shorts and a tank top. It did get colder on latter parts of my trip in other countries, so I was glad for the warmer bag then! I remember ditching the bag in favour of my sleeping bag liner on a couple of occasions, but don't remember if it was in these countries.

Some of the people in my travel group had been in Uganda/Kenya for the previous few weeks doing Gorilla Trekking. They did say that it was colder during those weeks and one girl had caught a cold which she thought may have been from the fact she only had a light sleeping bag.

You could always stick with the 2 season bag and purchase a liner (depending on the type, they can add up to 15 degrees Celsius in warmth). That way, you can mix and match using both or each individually depending on how you feel. You can always put on more layers to sleep as well if you're worried about being cold.
catraveller

Return to Africa and Middle East