Tanzania & Zanzibar Vaccinations

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tanzania & Zanzibar Vaccinations

Postby katelewis » Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 am

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help with vaccinations. I am doing the Tanzania Encompassed trip in July, which includes visiting Tanzania and Zanzibar. I am flying in and out of Tanzania so won't be crossing any borders. I have conflicting information from the travel company I booked with and my doctors surgery relating to yellow fever.

Does anybody know whether this vaccination is required for entry into Tanzania, or across into Zanzibar at the moment?

Thanks!

Kate
katelewis
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tanzania & Zanzibar Vaccinations

Postby lesliew » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 am

If you look at the CDC's website, it says the vaccine is only required for those coming from a high risk country (most of these high risk countries are in Africa, South America, and Central America). That being said, when I went to Tanzania I went ahead and got the yellow fever vaccine just as a precaution (my travel clinic recommended it). The requirement could always change before your trip and you don't want to get there and suddenly discover you need one. At the airport where I landed (Kilimanjaro International) there was a little room where they'd give you an injection if you needed it and didn't have proof of it; as you can probably imagine, the conditions there are not quite what they are in First world countries and I was personally glad I already had my vaccination from my clinic back home.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby markmol » Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 pm

hi you do need to have yellow fever vaccine to enter Zanzibar, if you don't they will inject you at the port when you arrive.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby katelewis » Sun May 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks! Will make sure I get the jab here in the UK then! :)
katelewis

Postby baga_azul » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 am

I have the yellow fever vaccine but the name of the vaccine is written in portuguese. I hope they accept that, I don't want to get some injection in an airport... :s
baga_azul
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Africa and Middle East