Phones/Sim Cards in Africa

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Phones/Sim Cards in Africa

Postby flip » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 am

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for purchasing a sim card in South Africa for use in other parts of Africa and what the call rates are like to Australia? I am doing the Ultimate Africa trip and am trying to sort out what to do in terms of my phone. I am all for being “technology free” for 2 months but I am leaving my boyfriend behind who would no doubt appreciate a phone call once in a while!
flip
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Phones/Sim Cards in Africa

Postby ballu » Thu May 16, 2013 12:31 pm

I bought a sim card in Uganda which worked in Kenya and Tanzania...cost a couple of bucks. I don't know what the rates were to call home to Canada but pre-paid minutes can be bought all over.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Re: Phones/Sim Cards in Africa

Postby catraveller » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I was living in South Africa before I did my overland, so I had an SA SIM for my phone. If you purchase with one of the larger carriers, you'll have roaming options in other countries. I was with Vodacom.

The SIM is super cheap to buy. I just loaded it up with pre-paid amounts before I left for overland. I had Blackberry service (about $8 CDN for a month) and in a few countries, I could use data pretty cheap even while roaming, so it was easy to stay in touch via BBM or emails.

Roaming rates for African countries seen here: http://www.vodacom.co.za/personal/servi ... 6317470478

Just make sure that you have activated international roaming prior to leaving SA as they often default to blocking this to prevent running up large tabs given the prevalence of phone theft there.
catraveller
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Africa and Middle East