wildebeest migration

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

wildebeest migration

Postby nia_stoyan » Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 am

hi everyone:
i am looking for advice on whether to take the Nairobi to Cape Town trip or the reverse itinerary. The migration of the wildebeest at this time of the year moves from south to north, so from that perspective I thought that travelling from Cape to Nairobi is a better option, as it will give me more time to observe it while we travel. Unfortunately, that puts me in the Serengeti in early August and according to what I’ve read the wildebeests are in Masai Mara then and games drives in the Masai Mara reserve are not included in the trip. The Nairobi to Cape trip will get me there in late June but I will be going in the opposite direction of the migration.
i just realised that i can take the time off in the summer and i really need to make a decision in the next 1-2 days. looking for advice.
Thanks for your help!
nia_stoyan
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: wildebeest migration

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 am

Depends on when in August. I was there in late July a couple of years ago, Masai Mara first and then Serengeti a week later. The wildebeest were gathering near the Mara river ready to cross a few days before we got there, so mid-July. Our guide thought we'd see the crossing but in the few days we toured different game parks it started to rain in the Serengeti and the wildebeest crossed back. There were some herds at the Masai Mara and lots in the Serengeti when we got there. You might be better off taking your chances in June, though. I think that's really early for them to have crossed into Kenya. Remember, we're talking about a couple of million wildebeest! There should be plenty still hanging around in June. :D
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East