Short Trip before Kilimanjaro - Rongai Route

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Short Trip before Kilimanjaro - Rongai Route

Postby michiwichi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi,

I'm planning on trekking the Rongai Route on Kilimanjaro in December. I may be a solo female traveller. I have travelled alone for a few days here and there while in Europe, but I have never been to Africa so I am a bit nervous. Any tips? Is Tanzania generally safe for a solo female traveller?

Secondly, I have about 5-6 days to kill before starting the trek. Any recommendations or 3-5 day trips? I would prefer to stay near Moshi if possible. Would love to go on a safari or something. Serengeti seems to be a good choice, since the tours depart from Arusha. Would a Masai Mara Camping Safari be feasible or would it be too far to travel given the time constraint?

Thanks!
Michelle
michiwichi
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Short Trip before Kilimanjaro - Rongai Route

Postby markmol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:21 am

hi, on the trip side of things, i think you are best of to go to the serengetti & Ngorongoro Crater from Arusha, the Masai mara may be a bit to rushed, i went to the serengetti in December & we saw a lot of animal life in the 3 days we went.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lesliew » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 am

I went to Tanzania as a solo female traveler and I felt pretty safe. Most of the time I was with my G Adventures tour, but I did arrive by myself a day early. Tanzania is pretty safe, just use common sense (don't display valuables, don't go walking alone after dark, etc) and you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Janice08 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 am

I haven't done this, but a while ago I was dreaming of the same trip. At the time, I'm not sure if it is still true, G Adventures used Zara Tours for their Kilimanjaro trips. Their website is:
http://www.zara.co.tz/
They also offer safaris in the area that you may be able to join in on before your climb. They have several options from 3 - 5 days. It would be convenient to be with the same tour operator. I assume that if G Adventures uses them they must be okay. If you want another trekk they also offer climbing the nearby Mount Meru.

Someone who has actually done one of the trips could probably give you better first hand information.
Janice08

Return to Africa and Middle East