Taking a laptop on African Overland

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Taking a laptop on African Overland

Postby melb_guy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:52 am

I'm going to be doing the Ultimate Africa overland tour in the next few months.

I'm planning on taking my laptop, can anyone recommend if this is wise?
Has anyone else taken one?

As I'm going to be travelling for a while, I'd like to be able to organise my photo's while i'm travelling. As well as to hopefully be able use it for wi-fi where it is available.

How often would wifi be available? My travel also extends beyond the overland tour, hence making the desire to have my laptop even greater.

Also a side note, does anyone know how the safe works on this tour? Does everyone just put their stuff in the same box with the honor system or what? I'm a bit concerned about the security.
melb_guy
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Taking a laptop on African Overland

Postby kateyb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 am

A few people took lap tops when I went on the Dunes Delta and Falls tour. The safe is great to use and the only people accessing it are the others on your group. I would feel comfortable leaving mine in there. Many people left their money belts in there which pose a bigger risk. There were a few spots where you could access wifi. I brought my ipad and I liked to download my pictures on it to see them on a bigger screen.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby markmol » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:31 pm

hi
i took a notebook to download photos, a lot of the campsites in Uganda, kenya & Tanzania had free WIFI, the safe works well, the CEO is the only 1 with the key, I have never heard of anyone losing anything out os the safe. the driver stay with the truck most of the time so there is always someone near the truck.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby melb_guy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 am

Cheers thanks!

I'll be taking it then!
melb_guy

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 am

I took a small laptop with me when I did Nairobi to Jo'burg and kept it in the underseat box with a padlock when we left the bus. It enabled me to preview and check my pictures on something bigger than a 2.5-3 inch screen, we used it as a jukebox for a patio party in Zanzibar and I was able to help some of my tourmates transfer pictures to their USB memory sticks. Just don't take anything you'll kick yourself for breaking or losing.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Its very dusty and very bumpy on the road so make sure you take adequate protection, and maybe water proof depending on yr time of year
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby melb_guy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 am

Zuleika wrote:Its very dusty and very bumpy on the road so make sure you take adequate protection, and maybe water proof depending on yr time of year

Honestly I was just going to take a neoprene cover for it. Leave it in the same or my other luggage when out. When travelling keep it in my backpack. It is something to think about. Thanks.
melb_guy

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 pm

My friend used this one when we did a self drive 4x4 safari through Botswana last year. He was really happy with it.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/ipa ... +%2F+Black
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East