Sierra Leone Anyone?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sierra Leone Anyone?

Postby bcumming » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Just got back from the Calgary Outdoor Adventure Show and was chatting with GAdventures representatives about new and off-the-beaten-path tours that they are running this year. The first suggestion that came to mind was Sierra Leone Uncovererd. I've previously been on the Voodoo Trail tour as well as one in Ethiopia which were both fantastic experiences but I don't know too much about Sierra Leone outside of it's somewhat sad recent history and apparently beautiful beaches. Details on the published itinerary are relatively scarce so I'd be curious to know if anybody here has any sort of experience they could pass along?
bcumming
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Sierra Leone Anyone?

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 am

This doesn't help with your Sierra Leone question but I would like to hear about your experiences on both the Voodoo Trail and Ethiopian tours. I am looking at going on one later this year and am very undecided as I have heard mixed reviews on tourism in West Africa but this is my preference.
sarahfromaustralia
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby erin33 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Hey,

I worked in Sierra Leone for just over a month and loved it! Despite a recent history with violence I never once felt unsafe. I lived in mostly rural areas but visited Freetown and the beaches (which are amazing!). Being a tourist was a novelty for most people there so iwas often surrounded by an entourage, usually children. I found that bringing my iPod everywhere was awesome because music was super popular.

Hopefully that was a bit helpful! I adore Sierra Leone and wish I could go back. Have a great time!
erin33
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby bcumming » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Bump!

Didn't end up going on this tour last year but looking at it again for a trip in the fall Anybody here been on this tour (or to Sierra Leone in general)? Looks like it could be a pretty amazing trip to a part of the world that not a lot of tourists venture to.
bcumming

Return to Africa and Middle East