Explore Livingstone

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Explore Livingstone

Postby nataliejwhelan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Hey! I have just booked the 4 day adventure in August - so excited!
Anyone got any reccommendations of what I should do with my time there? Considering:
- tour of the falls (obviously)
- lion cub experience
- micro flight
- sunset cruise
nataliejwhelan
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Explore Livingstone

Postby collywobbles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

nataliejwhelan wrote:Hey! I have just booked the 4 day adventure in August - so excited!
Anyone got any reccommendations of what I should do with my time there? Considering:
- tour of the falls (obviously)
- lion cub experience
- micro flight
- sunset cruise

Hi
The tour of the falls you can do yourself. get into a taxi. very cheap and have a wander around. When I was there I think it was 20 dollars entry fee but it was worth it. Be aware of the monkeys they are everywhere and they can be a bit aggressive. after the falls there is markets near falls . do a bit of haggling or bring stuff u don't want and trade them for some gifts. The lion walk a yes should do. The sunset cruise is great also I did not do microflight but I did helicopter flight. Some of my group did microflight and enjoyed it but you wont be able to take your camera. Hope this helps you to decide.
Cheers :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby nataliejuk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 pm

thanks very much! much appreciated
I am also thinking of paying to go to the zimbabwe size as I hear its better!
Cliche question.. but i am a little cautious of *safety* as a lone traveller! Whats it like?
nataliejuk
User Rank: Weekender

Postby meeting_eiffel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 pm

I went with 4 girls when I was 18 (5 yrs ago) and we didn't have any safety related problems at all (or for the other 2 months we were in Zambia). People came up to us to talk, but nothing threatening or unnerving. We even went out for dinner with our cab driver. Zambians are really friendly! As far as normal caution, we kept together mostly, and didn't go out anywhere too late at night.
I would definitely recommend just hiking the falls on the Zambia side on your own (not sure about Zim side..didn't go). Absolutely worth it!
Watch the baboons if you're walking around with food (one of my friends got her banana stolen from one with a few scrapes involved). And always bring hand sanitizer wherever you go :)
meeting_eiffel

Postby kateyb » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:05 pm

I did both sides of the falls and I liked the Zim side much better. I went with someone else from my tour and we had no safety concerns. However it was a pricey day trip. I went in March which was the rainy season and on the Zambian side it was very difficult to really see the falls as all you would see was just mist. If you aren't going during the rainy season, it may be worth it to save your money and see it on the Zambian side.

I really loved the Lion walk excursion. Livingston was great, so much do to there.
kateyb

Postby nataliejuk » Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for the advice both!

Katie B... i am just trying to sort out all this Visa stuff. I am applying for my Zambia visa, as clearly I am staying in Livingstone Zambia... but the Zimbabwe tour.... do I need a visa/did you need a visa to go over to the other side? did you apply for one before you went? I heard the lion encounter is also on the zimbabwe side, so again... visa required?

Not sure what to do; should I be applying for a single or multiple entry visa for zambia (in light of the trips above) and do I need a Zimbabwe visa?

So confusing! Help/advice would be much appreciated.

Also; did you stay in the tented accommodation or the waterfront lodge building? Debating which one to do

Thanks

Natalie :D
nataliejuk

Postby collywobbles » Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 pm

hi nataliejuk :D

I cant tell you about visas for Zim side but when I did the lionwalk it was at the thorn tree reservation. Its not on the Zim side. we stayed in the tented accomadation at the waterfront camp site. The tents were fab. When I did the helicopter flight we flew over the Zim side of falls and we had no visas. suppose there is no way of checking up there :lol:

enjoy 8)
collywobbles

Postby nataliejuk » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm

thanks for that! glad to know the tents r fab. :D if your a solo traveller, I guess you get your own tent?

what did you do about your passport/money etc? don't really want to leave in the tent! :?
nataliejuk

Postby collywobbles » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

hi

:D They were left in the truck safe if you wanted to leave them there. If not you could keep them on you.
collywobbles

Postby nataliejuk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:20 am

So excited now! Not long to go :D

I think i've decided to do lion walk, game drive, microflight (i hear you can have a video of your flight recorded from the wing tip of your plane! woo), devils pool & a self led tour of the zambia side of the falls.

Anyone regret not visiting the zimbabwe side of the falls?

Anyone do both, and is it worth the $65 visa + $30 park entrance!?
nataliejuk

Return to Africa and Middle East