Tips for Nairobi to Victoria Falls Trip?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tips for Nairobi to Victoria Falls Trip?

Postby axiefinch » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I am going on the Trip from Nairobi to Victoria Falls trip starting at the end of April to Mid May. I have never been on a trip like this before. Are there anythings that are a MUST to bring? Anything not worth bringing? What are the best shoes to bring? What is the best type of bag to carry? Shorts or not shorts? Any tips for stuff in the personal first aid kit? I appreciate all tips and hints! Thank you very much!
axiefinch
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tips for Nairobi to Victoria Falls Trip?

Postby markmol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 pm

hi
there is a couple of long days travelling on the truck on this trip, Arusha to Dar es Salaam is a long day, so pack your I pod & a good book or Kindle. With the bag,take a soft bag such as a duffle bag or Backpack would be best as luggage space on the truck is limited. Shorts are a must, again long days on the truck can get hot. I usually take the convertible trousers with zip off legs so you end up having the option of longs or shorts. A small basic first aid kit is plenty, the truck will have a major first aid kit on it. Take hand sanitizer with you, keeping your hands clean is a must, also carry a roll of toilet paper in your daypack as a lot of the time toilet stops are in the bush. There is not much hard walking on this trip so a pair of runners or walking shoes will be fine, a pair of sandals & a pair of flip flops for when you shower.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm

I did this trip just under four years ago and can safely say that you're going to have an amazing time! :)

A headtorch is a definite must, as are warm clothes for the night time. A travel pillow will come in handy for the long travel days if you want to catch up on your selepy. An anti mossie spray with a high percentage of Deet is another must and if you're into your photography, a spare battery and memory card incase of accidents.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

You may also want a pair of ear plugs in case you have loud snorers in the group. Starbuck unfortunately had to endure me despite attempts to pitch my tent on the perimeter of the campsite.

First aid kit items should include the usual adhesive bandages, pain reliever (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc. as you prefer), decongestant, antihistamine, antibiotic cream/spray, and anti-nausea medicines. I also like to carry an Ace bandage wrap, gauze pads, first aid tape, burn cream, scissors, moleskin, note paper, and Sharpie (marker) in case you have to annotate first aid treatments (highly unlikely on a G Adventures trip but I pack my first aid kit for Boy Scouting).

In addition to the music player (with earphones!) and reading material, twice as many batteries as you think you need (there are some excellent battery packs available now to give you USB recharging ability at any time), African plug AC adapter, 12V DC adapter, brimmed hat/cap, and sandals so your shoes can breathe from time to time.

The suggested packing list in the Detailed Trip brochure is a good guide. You can also check my past posts for previous recommendations.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Africa and Middle East