Gorilla Treking Uganda Altitude Sickness

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Gorilla Treking Uganda Altitude Sickness

Postby byblyk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 pm

I was in Uganda gorilla trekking between 2500 and 2800 meters and was forced to turn back. I was very light headed, extremely sluggish and was going through 1L of water every 30 minutes. I pulled the plug on the hike when i started to get dizzy and had to take a knee on a very narrow path with a drop off. I live at about 500ft and have never really been about 1000ft of elevation. I'm young- 28, not the model of fitness but at 6'3" and 170 I’m not grossly out of shape either.

I just wondered if anybody else has had or seen such adverse reaction at mediocre altitudes before.
byblyk
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Gorilla Treking Uganda Altitude Sickness

Postby markmol » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 pm

hi
anything over 2500 meters is classed as high altitude, with the gorilla trek you don't get a chance to acclimatize, i know that Lake Bunyonyi is at 2000 meters but when i did the trek we arrived in the afternoon & went on the trek the next morning. it is usually recommended to spend a couple of days at altitude before going on a trek. with the Inca trail you spend a couple of days in Cuzco & a day in the sacred valley to get use to the altitude. i also took Diamox tablets when i did the Inca trail, when i did the gorilla trek i didn't take medication & had no problems except being short of breath due to lack of fitness. Unfortunately it seems it doesn't matter what shape you are in if you are going to get sick you will.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East