Dunes, Delta and Falls in May- Trips

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Dunes, Delta and Falls in May- Trips

Postby meagalap » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Everyone,
Myself and my sister will be leaving on the Dunes Delta and Falls trip Livingstone-Cape Town at the end of April, and through May. Does anyone have any of the extra trips that they think we should not miss? We are on a budget so we can't do them all!

Also, does anyone have any packing tips or ideas? It is the winter when we are there, and we are wondering what kind of sleeping bags people have taken in the past? We want to be warm but want it to take up as little space as possible!

Any tips or suggestions would really be appreciated, we are very exctied! :D
meagalap
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Dunes, Delta and Falls in May- Trips

Postby stemby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi there,

I am also doing the same trip, but we are leaving on the May 8th departure. I have done quite a bit of research on the area and stuff to do and my girlfriend and I are definitely not missing the bunjee jump at Victoria Falls, if you're adventurous like that haha. Also, depending on when you get into Livingstone and how much time we have, we are doing a "lion walk". I haven't seen it offered by G adventures but the website is www.lionencounter.com. On their program you can take lion cubs (aged 6 month to 18 months) on a guided 1 hour 15 minute walk with a guide/handler. This to us looks amazing and we are currently emailing with one of the ladies to book our slot. Aside from that, I have heard that shark cage diving in South Africa is exhilarating and I am contemtplating doing that if I have enough money left at the end of the trip in Cape Town haha. As for sleeping bags we went to a camping outfitter (called Mountain Equipment Co-op) in Canada and bought 0-10+ degree Celsius sleeping bags and are fairly confident this will be sufficient. They roll up into a stuff stack which isnt too cumbersome and are very light. Hope this helps!

Dustin
"Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return."
stemby

Postby sonnysdream » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I did part of this trip last June, you are in for a great time. I found the nights were chilly ( between 2 deg c and 10 deg cel every night) Several of us bought a wool blanket that proved to be quite helpful at night and the early, early mornings. Your guide will tell you where you can buy stuff like this. Buying it there meant one less thing I had to pack. The days are very warm, pack accordingly. I find the guidelines in the GAP itinery to be very accurate.

I did the elephant ride , worth every penny. Several others in my group did the lion walk and said the same thing. The sunset diner cruise at Livingstone is worth doing. And you have to do the Chobe river cruise and game drive.

A few people in my group did the flight over the Okanago Delta, the reviews were so so.

Bring several memory cards for your camera as you will be taking lots of pics.

Enjoy your adventure

Travis
sonnysdream
User Rank: Traveller

Postby meagalap » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Thank you both SO much! Very helpful :) We will be heading to MEC soon!

When you say the days were warm -> do you mean like shorts and t shirt warm? We want to pack light but it sounds like we need a big variety of clothing.

What did you find that you liked about the Livingstone Sunset Cruise? It wasn't something that caught my eye originally, so I'm just wondering why you liked it, and we might do that!

I have heard from a few people that the Chobe River Cruise is a must do, and that you are almost guarenteed to see elephants and hippos. Did you do the Chobe night game drive?
meagalap

Postby sonnysdream » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes I mean shorts and T-shirt warm :)

I didn't have anything pre-arranged for my first day in Livingstone, I spent most of the time getting to know the other people in the group. A few of us decided to do the sunset cruise. there was lots of food and drinks,and the sunset was unbelievable. We didn't see lots of wildlife but it was a relaxing way to spend my first evening in Africa.

I did the Chobe game drive and sunset cruise and I feel both are needed to be done on this trip. They are not expensive. We saw a large variety of animals on both trips and were able to get close enough for some amazing pictures. You haven't experienced a true sunset until you see one on the Chobe River ( and we saw lots of elephants and hippos). The game drive means an early morning. I think we got up around 4:00, ate, stuck camp and then got in jeeps ( you will be cold, bring mittens/gloves, hats/earmuffs and your sleeping bag/blanket to keep warm).

Travis
sonnysdream

Postby collywobbles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Megalap

I did this trip in 2010 in august. It is a fantastic trip. I did a few activities in Livingstone ie The lion walk which was my favourite . I also did the helicopter trip over the falls. You can also do a micro flight trip over the falls if you wish. I did the game drive at Chobe. It was an early start. I think we were picked up at about 4.45 am. I enjoyed it. In swapkomund I did sandboarding down the dunes. It was fantastic . Never did that before. Also I did quad biking across the dunes. Very enjoyable. These are just some of the extra activities available as well as bungee jumping white water rafting. All of our group did the sunset cruise on the chobe river. It was fantastic to see elephants and hippos crossing the water. Here is the link I hope you can open to see some photos of my trip. hope you will be able to open it. its http://www.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles
Have a great trip and if you need any more info feel free to email me .

cheers :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby meagalap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Thank you all SO much! We will definitely do both the game drive and the Chobe River Cruise, both seem really worthwhile! I think we will also do the Livingstone Cruise, might as well do as much as we can afford when we are there anyway right?!

Collywobbles, your pictures are amazing!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the input!
meagalap

Postby seeaych » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 am

We are joining this tour with Contiki's Kruger and Coast tour in Dec. This may sound silly but how should we make sure that our cameras are always charged / have enough batt in between camping sites? Any tips? Or are there charging facilities that I'm not aware of? Thanks!
seeaych

Return to Africa and Middle East