Dunes, Delta and Falls in May -Tips

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Dunes, Delta and Falls in May -Tips

Postby meaglap » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:02 am

Hi,
I will be travelling on the Dunes, Delta and Falls tour that goes to Zambia, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa. I am wondering if anyone who has done the trip has any tips? Also, what should we pack for a tour that runs in May? How cold will it be? Should we pack shorts, or stick with pants? Also, what temperature should our sleeping bags be prepared for? We have read some things that say -10 and some that say 10 C should be ok.

Thank you in advance for any responses, have a great day :D
meaglap
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Dunes, Delta and Falls in May -Tips

Postby kateyb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I went in March and it was quite hot at night, but in some places it cooled down lots in the evening. I think a bag rated around 0 would be fine. My friend brought a -7 one and ended up giving it away. He was way too hot and it was very bulky. Bring paperbooks and older clothes as you can use them to trade for great souvenirs. Bring a headlamp. Bring clothes that dry quick as you don't have that much time to dry them as you are on the go lots.

It's a great trip and you see lots. But be prepared for early morning wake up calls and long drives!
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Dunes, Delta and Falls in May -Tips

Postby collywobbles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi meaglap :D

I took this trip in august 2010. It is a great trip.not too sure what temps will be cos the nights were very cold when I was there and also the mornings. When we climbed dune 45 at 5am it was very cold.also we climbed it bare foot. Easier to do. Bring a fleece bring a long pants because the earlymorning game walk on the delta the terrain can be rough.long days on truck. Just remember its not a bus! Bring books music as katyb wrote. A diary to write about your adventures. Bring flipflops for showers also a swimsuit as there are some campsites with pools. A head lamp is your best friend. A clothes line to rig up between tents to dry some clothing. You will have early mornings and long drives. Also a bottle opener or corkscrew for some bottles ye might like to have around the campfire. And bring plenty cards for camera chargers and your sense of adventure. The sleeping matteress are comfy. Any other questions please ask. You will enjoy it.

Cheers
collywobbles

Return to Africa and Middle East