Things to do in Dubai

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Things to do in Dubai

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 am

Looking at having a stopover in Dubai for 2 nighs, can people suggest on things to?

Will also be solo female traveller - what would I need to be cautious of?
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Things to do in Dubai

Postby onyx007 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm

When are you there; because I'll be there from the 10th to the 15th of march. And I travel solo as well although I'm a Male, but if you are there the same time, we could meet and do something together; some tours might be cheaper as a couple then as solo and it would probably be safer for you as well...

Look forward for other answers, as I need as well some tipps.
onyx007

Postby georginal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

If you'r only there for a couple of nights, give or take the get on the bus.

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/dubai ... eeing-tour

Pick two or three stops that interest you and be realistic with your time. Loads if free entries into museums and also a Dhow Cruise. Its nice being on the river at lunchtime when its hottest.

If you're only there for 2 nights, then the 24 hours version might be best!

Safety wise its fine, just dress conservatively and take all the usual precaustions, the only thing I didn't do was wander into a bar and buy alchohol alone. If you want to drink, do it in the hotels!
georginal

Postby indi06 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 pm

U have to do a dune bashing 4wd thing. You go 4wd on huge sand dunes so much fun then sunset in desert and an amazing dinner :)
indi06
User Rank: Traveller

Postby bcumming » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm

I highly recommend taking a day trip over to Abu Dhabi and checking out the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. There are buses that leave on a frequent basis from the Ghubaiba Bus Station and the trip takes around 90 mins or so each way.
bcumming

Postby onyx007 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 am

Dubai is a very safe city, even for solo female travellers, just don't do things, which you wouldn't do at home as well (going in to a dark alleys in the night, get too drunk, hitting on strange people, do drugs and so on)

As someone who just spent 6 days there, I would recommend you the following things if I had only two nights:

- get a daypass for the metro, which will cost you only the amount of 16 Dirhams, which is about 5 Euros, there is even a coach only for females.
- check out the old town with the gold and perfume souck, cross the Dubai Creek with an Abra (Ancient wood boat) for 1 Dirham or make a short cruise, visit then the excellent (but small) Dubai Museum for 3 Dirhams and if you don't do the desert safari, check out the Heritage Village
- check out the Dubai Marina, the Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall, go on top of Burj Khalifa (book in advance for sunset in the Internet) and check out Dubai from the 124th floor, enjoy the great Dubai Fountain in front of the Mall and the biggest Aquarium inside the Dubai Mall.

on the second day - why not spent some time in the pool/sea/water park and then by around 3 pm lets go on a "desert safari" with Dune Bashing in a SUV and later on BBQ with belly dancing, camel riding and so on. returning around 9 to 10 pm to your hotel.

The hop-on-hop-off-bustour is only for tourists, who can't read a map and have to much money as it cost about 40 Euros for a day and around 60 for two days and as I wrote above a daypass for the metro costs you 5 Euros and the entrance for the (so much I know) only included Museum, the Dubai Museum is 1 Euro! The Cruise on the harbor is probably also available for under 15 Euros.

A daytrip to Abu Dhabi to see the famous Mosque is great, but only if you have more then 4 days in Dubai, because there is much more to see and do in Dubai.
onyx007

Return to Africa and Middle East