Travel from Stone Town to Dar Es Salaam airport

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel from Stone Town to Dar Es Salaam airport

Postby anniebannie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi, In July my trip finishes in Stone Town & my flight home goes from Dar Es Salaam. I looking for advise on best option for travel - ferry & taxi or plane. A number of small companies fly from Stone Town to Dar Es Salaam but lugage is very restricted. Also unsure about the taxi & traffic delays. Any advise welcome.
anniebannie
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Travel from Stone Town to Dar Es Salaam airport

Postby markmol » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Annie
i caught a flight from Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam, i used precision air a 45 minute flight, great veiws, the ferry takes about 3 1/2 hours, it can be quite a rough crossing & leaves at about 7am so you have to be at the port very early i am not sure of the distance from the port to the airport but traffic in Dar is crazy. i had my backpack & carried my daypack & had no problems with luggage, I must admit that i travel light & my main pack only weighed 15kg with my sleeping bag in it. I hope this helps
Mark
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby anniebannie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks so much for that Mark, I've taken your advice & I have booked my flight, guess there will be no heavy souvenirs for me. I’m very excited about my trip – East Africa Overland – I’m happy to get any other advice or tips.
Cheers
Annie
anniebannie

Postby markmol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 am

Hi Annie
I have done this trip you will have a blast, there is a couple of long days on the road, but it is worth it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby baga_azul » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 am

I am also travelling from Stone Town to Dar Airport, but by ferry. If anyone has experience with that... :-)
baga_azul
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Africa and Middle East