What to do in Nairobi

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What to do in Nairobi

Postby baga_azul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 am

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a tour in Nairobi and I'm wondering how much time I should spend in Nairobi and what to do. I'm either staying 1 or 2 days before the tour. I have some questions, maybe you have experience on it. :-)

My flight arrives middle of the night. I'll probably take a taxi to the hotel. Shall I book one before, can I get one there, can you advise some taxi companies?

Is Nairobi very unsafe? I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with what I read about Nairobi. I'm wondering what to do there in my free time and if I must take a taxi door-to-door all the time.

What can I do in Nairobi (or not too far from the city) for 1 or 2 days? Any suggestions about attractions and how much time to spend on each? Is 1 day "enough" or better 2?

Thanks!
baga_azul
User Rank: Traveller

Re: What to do in Nairobi

Postby indi06 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm

I was in Nairobi in may and June last year. I did a kumuka tour but think g stays at same hotel. Hotel boulevard.?

You don't need much time there really. Most people on our tour had one full day of that. I think I have 3.5 which was more then enough.

I'd probably book a transfer through g but up to u. We booked a transfer but it didn't show up cause kumuka didnt pay them. A lady helped us and put us into a car. Taxi wise you probably ok. As we were standing in arrivals eating for our transfer we were getting swamped by people offering lifts. So u probably wouldn't have a problem getting a ride but I'd b top scared on my own especially at night.

Things to do ....

I say of you only have one day... And probably the only must do is a tour which takes in the elephant orphanage/ giraffe centre. I did a tour that had the orphanage/ giraffe centre and Karen blixen museum. I had no idea about Karen blixen and thought I't would b boring but it wa actually interesting. I wish I'd read or seen out of Africa first but make me want to read/ watch it.

The orphanage you get close to elephants and general get to pat them, get some nice pics. I raffle centre get to feed/ pat the giraffes And if u want you can put food in your mouth and get a big giraffe kiss when they take it from your lips.

My tour started and ended in Nairobi so the last I got of our tour our group arranged to go to dinner at carnivores which nice atmosphere.

My friend and I also did a tour to Nairobi national park and animal orphanage. It probably is not worth it though. You should see enough animal just on your g your I'm sure. The animal orphanage sometimes let's you pat cheetah but only when young ones. No young ones when we were there :(
indi06

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi there,

Nairobi has a lot to offer and people seem to just have one night pre tour which is a shame. In saying that though I think two nights is ample. You can easily spend a full day visiting the sights of the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Centre, Karen Museum and National Museum.

In regards to a taxi/transfer - I would get a taxi on arrival. It is much cheaper than a transfer (approx 50% less). Have cash on you and you should pay no more than 20USD - if you do you are being ripped off. Once you come out of the airport you will see banks and shops and right in the middle there is a taxi stand. If you are not confident getting the taxi yourself and agreeing on a price then the man there will let you prepay it and pop you in with your bags - easy done. On my first trip to Nairobi I waited almost an hour for my prepaid transfer which never showed up and the nice man at the taxi stand organised a taxi for me at 20USD, second visit I just got a taxi and paid less. The airport to the Boulevard Hotel (where most G trips start) is a short drive (30 mins) but that time of night you'll be there in no time. For your free time I would definitely recommend a taxi - not to fussed on the local transport - and they'll spend the day with you and wait.

I always feel safe in Nairobi but again, you'll find good and not so good people everywhere. Have your wits about you and you'll have a pleasant stay. It is a city - so people are busy and not the friendliest as just getting on with life but I find that in most capital cities.

Hope you find this helpful. I've been to Kenya twice now and heading back in a few weeks :)
sarahfromaustralia
User Rank: Weekender

Postby baga_azul » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 am

Just booked my tour and flight. I'll arrive middle of the night and have a full day to explore Nairobi. Probably nothing too wild, as I'll be too sleepy.
Thanks for the suggestions! Where did you book the optional tours?
baga_azul

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi there,
Just ask the hotel to organise a driver for you and tell them where you want to go. You can then decide on a price together. I wouldn't prebook a tour. I'm not sure where home is for you but I am Australian and also a travel agent and pre-organised African day tours (booked from Australia) are know to no show and be an absolute rip off. I remember my first trip to Kenya, I'd been working in travel for 4 years at that time and against my better judgement pre-booked my arrival transfer and day trip and neither showed up. Hope this helps.
Sarah :)
sarahfromaustralia

Postby byblyk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm

I was just in Nairobi for 3 days and found it was plenty of time. I saw the elephant orphanage, giraffe sanctuary, Karen Blixen museum and had dinner at Carnivore. If you were crunched for time this could all be done in one day. I would recommend getting a driver to take you to these places. Gap charges $60 US a place and quite often the entrance fee is 1000KSH or less.
byblyk

Postby baga_azul » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks! I got some ideas for the 1-day-tour. I won't book the tour now, just wondering how to do it when I get there, as I only have 1 day.
baga_azul

Postby baga_azul » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 am

How was your experience at Carnivoros Restaurant? Do they have only beef, chicken, and "normal" stuff, or something we can't usually get in Europe?
baga_azul

Postby lorrie jay » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Re:Carnivores, you can eat the veg and the breads but for the price, go slow on the first 4-5 rounds as these are the cheapest meats (chicken livers, hearts, etc.)and the idea is to fill you up on those before they come around with the more expensive cuts. The lamb and beef were all very good with a variety of doneness if you ask. Try the Dawa- the Kenyan rum drink, yummy!
lorrie jay

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Just a suggestion regarding tours...the G airport transfer guy may be driving a group around and you could join them. We randomly found out about a guy driving a group the day after we arrived and asked to be part of it. Our guy came to the hotel with a van for 8 people and we paid a set amount for him to drive us around all day and wait at each place. We met in the morning and decided as a group where we wanted to go. Not everyone wanted the same places and he accommodated our individual requests. It was worth not having to worry at each place whether or not we would have a good taxi driver to pick us up. You may be able to ask upon arrival at the hotel if there is a G driver coming in the morning.
If you get to the elephant orphanage, please say hello to my little ellie Barsilinga. After visiting there I decided to adopt a baby elephant and he's the one I chose :)
Enjoy...it's a fabulous country!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby gemwood » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 am

Hello!

I'll be at Hotel Boulevard for a tour starting in Nairobi as well!

What tour will you be taking? and what date does it start?

I'm trying to meet some of the people I'll be sharing the bus with :)

Thanks,

Gilly, Scotland.
gemwood

Postby baga_azul » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 am

Hi,

How much did you pay for the taxi driver to drive you around the day before your tour?

I'm doing the Kenya+Tanzania tour in September.
baga_azul

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

In 2011 I believe we paid 40CAD per person. The driver arrived around 9AM and gave us the options for the day, we discussed it as a group, decided where we each wanted to go, and set off around 9:30AM. He drove us from place to place, including a great restaurant for lunch, and we were back at the hotel by around 5PM. The payment was just for his driving, we had to pay whatever entrance fees ourselves. There is an emergency airport transfer guy named Patrick listed under the Kenya trips on the G Adventures site. Our guy was named Patrick but not sure if it's the same guy. You could try calling him.
If it's the same guy, he's great. Our flight arrived at 9PM without our luggage. Patrick not only waited for us as we stood in vain at the baggage carousel, he also guided us through the exceedingly complicated process of finding out where our bags were, and then drove us to the airport the next night and got us back in to the baggage area to pick up our luggage when it arrived. Although the airlines will deliver lost bags to your hotel, they don't deliver at night and if we hadn't picked it up we would have been halfway to Samburu the next day when our bags arrived at the hotel. Then it would have been a much bigger problem getting the bags to us out in the bush so Patrick was a huge help.
Take your sleeping bag on the plane with you! :wink:
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby world explorer 7 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Be sure to have a meal at the Carnivore!!! Great experience! You will be offered some game meat(what you took a picture of on safari)
world explorer 7
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Africa and Middle East