Flight suggestions Canada/Tanzania

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Flight suggestions Canada/Tanzania

Postby Ramsess » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey,

Im planing to go to Tanzania this June for Mt Kilimanjaro Group Trek—Machame

Im shopping for flights and they are quite expensive, would you guys have any ideas of routes to take, Im leaving from Montreal (North America) ?!

I heard Amsterdam or England are the best layovers cities and that I should book an independent flight from there...

Thanks

-Amz
Ramsess
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Flight suggestions Canada/Tanzania

Postby coqui14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes, going to AMS is the best choice. Sometimes a little bit more expensive but, you will fly directly to Kili Airport insteat to do a stop over in Nairobi, book a hotel for an overnight stay and then spend hours by land in bad roads to reach your destination. KLM has a direct fly to Kili from AMS. Good luck.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 am

KLM has $2100ish return Montreal to Kilimanjaro Airport via Amsterdam.

That seems reasonable to me, but then I'm Australian and it costs me $2000 for a return flight whenever I want to leave the country anyway.
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby chococake21 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 pm

We have just been (last week of Jan and first week of Feb) this year and we are from Montreal as well. We flew KLM directly to Tanzania with a stopover in Amsterdam; flight costed us ~1500$ and we booked last november. Hope that helps!
chococake21

Postby jeremybalog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 am

I paid $1400 USD for my flight leaving in a few days to Kilimanjaro Airport. I am flying through Washington DC to Addis Abba (Ethiopia) to Kilimanjaro Airport on Ethiopian Airways. I booked in the middle of the 787 Dreamliner debacle though as they fly the 787 out of Washington and not sure if that was a factor or not on the price. They have replaced the 787 with a 777 on the flight. I'd say if you can get anything in the $1500 range you're doing well. Amsterdam and London are going to add significant flight time to your trip. Nairobi and Addis Ababa are going to be your best options when it comes to flight time if you can get a flight out of Canada direct to Africa. Be warned that if you fly through Addis Ababa you need a yellow fever certificate, which I'd recommend even if you weren't flying through Ethiopia because you never know who you will end up sitting next to on the plane.
jeremybalog

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I went from Toronto to Amsterdam to Nairobi for $1,500. Keep in mind it is dependant on which month you travel. I found that trips after June 15th were usually a few hundred dollars more. As well, I found that around Jan and Feb if you check daily, the prices do jump around quite a bit. Delta and KLM frequently have sales to Africa so keep checking.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East