Livingston to Capetown?...caboose of the tent train?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Livingston to Capetown?...caboose of the tent train?

Postby yogigo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 am

....I booked this yolo camping trip that departs on February 19th....doesn't seem to be anyone going on it...lol,have a tent to myself?....am wondering if it is mostly a last leg trip of bigger Africa safaris coming from Kenya and it will be like the caboose on a train...has anyone taken the Livingston to Capetown one before?...looking forward to have time to laugh with fellow campers but wondering if a group combines long enough for the bug spray to settle or if tents have a revolving door...
yogigo
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Livingston to Capetown?...caboose of the tent train?

Postby ballu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Have you called G Adventures to see if you're alone? They won't be able to give you details on fellow travellers, but they should be able to tell you if anyone else is on the trip. And as someone who plans far ahead, it's surprising to me how many don't and book these trips in under a month to departure date. :)

I did a similar tour (had to go with another company because the dates didn't work out with G Adventures)...but...it's likely a two part trip. Some will go Nairobi to Vic Falls, some will go Vic Falls to Cape Town and some will go all the way through. A 21 day tour should be plenty of time for bonding with fellow travellers. In my situation with the other company, there was another leg too...started in Uganda and went to Nairobi, so when I joined there were people who had already been travelling together, and people they travelled with who were leaving. It was kind of strange for about a day, then everybody settled into the new group and new groove and we were a solid unit.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:23 am

Livingston to Cape Town has two legs. There's one leg going from Livingston to Johannesburg and then another leg going from Jo'burg to Cape Town. Bear in mind there are legs that go on from Cape Town so you'll have people joining up and leaving at different points along the way.

A lot of people don't know about the bulletin boards so there may well be a lot more people signed up than you can see. When I did Nairobi to Jo'burg, we only knew about 6 people who said they were going but we had 22 on each leg. One way to tell how full the trip is would be to call G Adventures and see just how many people are signed up for each leg.

No matter how full or sparse the trip is, you're almost guaranteed to have a lot of fun.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 pm

that was about the halfway joining point on our ultimate africa tour...then from livingstone it went to windhoek where half the people changed again...then carried on to capetown...so most people were all on different trips depending on where they started and ended. there were only 2 of us on ultimate africa for 54 days...the tour was almost completely full all the way, but about half the people changed at nairobi, then half again at zanzibar, then half again at livingstone, and final change at windhoek. so lots of different overlapping tours. namibia is awesome, my favorite country on the trip.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East