Sleeping pads

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping pads

Postby carmstrong » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm

My wife and I are doing the Cape Town to Victoria Falls Adventure, starting Feb 5th. We have sleeping bags, but can anyone say whether we should bring sleeping pads (ground pads) as well? Obviously we'd rather not bring them, from a space viewpoint.

We're also assuming that nighttime temperatures will be quite warm, or does it get cold at night in areas like the Namib Desert?
carmstrong
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Sleeping pads

Postby kateyb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I took the "basic" version of this tour and they supplied sleeping mats for us. I went in March and brought a sleeping bag rated for +10 Celsius. I was very warm most nights and only a little cold one of them. I believe that was when we were in the Fish River Canyon campground. I put on a fleece sweater and I was fine temperature wise. My friend brought a 0 Celsius bag and regretted it as he was way too hot every night.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby carmstrong » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks, Kateyb. In early Feb, should be even warmer - maybe wet too. I guess we'll leave the pads at home, unless someone says it's a good idea to bring them for extra padding. (Inca trail ground was OK but hard with just their pads!)
carmstrong

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am

Don't bother with your own pads. The ones G provides are quite thick and comfortable.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Africa and Middle East