Food Glorious Food (Africa)

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Food Glorious Food (Africa)

Postby chip » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm going on the Ultimate Africa trip starting in February going from Cape Town to Nairobi and I have a little question.....

What sorts of food will we be eating whilst we are on our travels? It's not that I'm a fussy eater, far from it in fact; I'm more excited at the thought of trying some new things :-)

Steve
chip
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Food Glorious Food (Africa)

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 pm

We did a different trip (included only Kenya and Tanzania) and found the food delicious! Lots of fresh pineapple especially and the best we've ever eaten. Dinners included lots of meat/fish and vegetables. I really like spices but didn't find the food very spicy. No one in our group went hungry! We came back with a few great recipes from our cook.
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby kateyb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:05 am

I did half that trip and the food was great! no real big surprises. There were nights were there was pasta and others were meat/carb/vegetable. Nothing that was really out of anyone's comfort zone. There were a few things to choose from, so if you didn't like the one thing that was offered you could fill up on another.

Breakfast was oatmeal/cereals/toast. lots of sandwiches for lunches.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby chip » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 am

Perfect!!

Thanks guys :-)

Steve
chip

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

I did Nairobi to Jo'burg a few years ago. Our menus ranged from salads and sandwiches (lots of salads on the road) to South African stews to grilled meats to a pig roast to curries to seafood (in Zanzibar). Lots of good game meat while on the road. It's not a short order restaurant on the road but the CEOs will ask about allergies and dietary restrictions and try to accommodate them.

It's a wonder I didn't gain 10-20 pounds on the trip!
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby moviegeekjn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Cooks for tours of this nature prepare food designed for tourist's palates...lots of carbs... not spicy... and safe to ensure few will get sick.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby georginal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Steve if you're up for something new then keep an eye out for the meats. I can recommend the Ostrich in particular, Kudu and also the sausages in SA as well. Its one for the restaurant nights rather than on camp, where you'll get something thats fairly acceptable to everybody, but theres definately different things to be tried. I also associate Butternut Squash with my African travels because thats where I had it first, and they weren't as readily available in the UK as they were when I first tried it in SA!

If you also hear a South African going on about Braaing (BBQ) thats also a good opportunity not to be missed as well!

Apologies veggies!
georginal

Return to Africa and Middle East