Traditions & Manners for Tanzania

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Traditions & Manners for Tanzania

Postby geofio » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Hello! Being a female, and first timer to Tanzania, I am wondering about respectfulness in Country? Should I bring a head covering? I mean besides my ever present ball cap! I normally wear long pants, and all my travel pants have zipper shorts so legs are 'covered' :lol: and I can easily carry long sleeves. But trying to pack light AND respectful sometimes is a chore! Any assistance, oh and advice on other customs so not as to insult my hosts, is appreciated!
geofio
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Traditions & Manners for Tanzania

Postby ballu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:33 am

My general rule is cover shoulders and knees...head covering (other than the ball cap) won't be necessary.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby geofio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks Ballu, good to hear, one less thing to pack means more room for souveneirs! :lol:
geofio

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 pm

geofio wrote:Hello! Being a female, and first timer to Tanzania, I am wondering about respectfulness in Country? Should I bring a head covering? I mean besides my ever present ball cap! I normally wear long pants, and all my travel pants have zipper shorts so legs are 'covered' :lol: and I can easily carry long sleeves. But trying to pack light AND respectful sometimes is a chore! Any assistance, oh and advice on other customs so not as to insult my hosts, is appreciated!

Worth noting about Tanzania: The mainland has a large Christian population. If you're in, say Arusha, you're really not going to stick out in shorts and a t-shirt, well, other than clearly not being local.

In Zanzibar, it is predominantly Muslim, but when I was there even the locals don't seem to wear a lot of head coverings and if you're at a resort, then you'll be fine to be in your bathing suit. If you're wandering around Stone Town, and especially if you're going to visit any mosques, just be respectful. As the other poster said, shoulders and knees covered is a good idea.

Enjoy your trip.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby catraveller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Agree with the comments above.

Personally, as a female I would err on the side of caution if you are going into the mainland cities/towns. One of the girls I was with made the mistake of wearing a tank top and shorts into Arusha and felt uncomfortable with the staring and people trying to touch her. I wore knee length shorts and a 3/4 length blouse and was perfectly comfortable.

In Stone Town, I would cover knees and shoulders to be respectful and avoid unwanted attention. Anything is pretty much fair game if you go North or East to the beaches.
catraveller

Return to Africa and Middle East