Safety in Egypt?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Safety in Egypt?

Postby canadajen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm headed on the Egypt Explorer trip in December and with all the recent news about bombing etc over that way I was wondering if anyone has been in Egypt lately and could comment on how safe they felt.
canadajen
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Safety in Egypt?

Postby vasis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Would be interested in knowing the same. We have booked the Budget Egypt trip, coming up in a few days :)
vasis

Postby lynnlyyap » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:31 am

Any updates on this? Things seem to be getting worse?
lynnlyyap

Postby canadajen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm getting a bit anxious. At what point does the tour get cancelled? How is that decision made?
canadajen

Postby ballu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm

You might be better off calling G Adventures directly... 1 877 277 9849. Keep in mind, they have people on the ground there every day and know which areas to avoid...and what is and isn't safe.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby skbenja » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:22 pm

It'd be nicer if GAdventures would proactively update the Safety forum, which hasn't had a new announcement since February...
skbenja

Postby chardonais » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm

This is from the Gov of Canada website

November 23, 2012

Civil unrest and demonstrations have been occurring in many parts of Egypt since January 2011, and have seen an increase since November 2012. This is especially the case in areas of central Cairo, in particular Tahrir Square. Demonstrations can also occur in other urban centres such as Alexandria and Port Said.

They also say to excercise a high degree of caution - same warning they have for quite a few countries including India and Indonesia.

Doesn't sound like what is happening there is too serious right now. That being said, anything can happen, anytime, anywhere. I would keep watching the governement websites for uptodate information.

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby wachteramanda » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I just got back from being in Egypt in November. I did the best of Egypt tour and it was amazing.
Stop being afraid and go!! While I was there they had a bunch of protesting in Cairo but it did not affect us at all. The people in Egypt are the nicest you could ever wish to meet. Of all the places that I have traveled to, I felt the safest in Egypt. Even as a woman I felt safe the entire time. This chaos is isolated to a very small area and a very small population. You have nothing to be concerned about. I called G-adventures before my trip and they confirmed that it is safe and that if anything ever happened they have a plan.
wachteramanda

Postby sirrobynhood » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 am

There are four of us booked to do Cairo/Jordan starting April 22, 2012. We were wondering the same as some of the other contributors regarding safety. However, I have heard from several folks who toured Egypt in September and November 2012 (unguided) and all had a fabulous time without any incidents. Our last trip was to Peru with GAP and we did run into some snags with demonstrations but our GAP guide was fantastic and we never felt at risk as GAP was in constant contact as we travelled around the country. We are counting on the same excellent service on this upcoming trip!
sirrobynhood

Postby jan.mitch30@gmail.com » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm

I just got back from my second trip to Egypt last week (first one been in Aug/Sep 2012) and both trips were perfectly safe, didn't see any signs of trouble at all. It's a great country and the people are very friendly, three of us girls went out on our own one night in Cairo, and everyone was very helpful translating for us when someone didn't speak English. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. G is a Great company that would never put their travellers in harms way.
jan.mitch30@gmail.com

Return to Africa and Middle East