Sleeping bags for Kilimanjaro

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping bags for Kilimanjaro

Postby jmayoff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:00 pm

I tend to be a cold sleeper - wrapping myself up in blankets, etc. What are the extreme/lower temp ratings for sleeping bags y'all have used for the upper reaches of Kilimanjaro?

Thanks!
Jeff in Texas
jmayoff
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sleeping bags for Kilimanjaro

Postby coqui14 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm

I used a +15F (-9C) sleeping bag for Kilimanjaro and I was perfectly fine. It you get cold, I will said a 0F may be good choice but I will not go below because they are very HOT, bulky and expensive. Good luck.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby esmerjen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Sleeping bags can also be rented once you're there. I'm climbing Kili in February and was also concerned about a heavy sleeping bag (more so about the cost of buying one as I already have 3 sleeping bags and don't care to spend the money on a very expensive bag that I'll never use again) but they are readily available in Moshi, including from the Springlands Hotel where (I believe all) the Gadventures Kili treks launch from.

I'll be bringing my equatorial sleeping bag and liner and will use one or both inside the rented bag to minimize the gross factor.
esmerjen

Postby catraveller » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Most of the guidance you read suggests a -15 degrees Celsius rated bag. I tend to get cold when I camp and I used a -7 degree Celsius rated bag when I did Kili. I also used a thermal liner that added up to 15 degrees of warmth during the last couple of nights before summit. This is what was suggested to me by outdoors stores when I was shopping for sleeping bags (mind you, this was in South Africa where they aren't as used to the cold as Canadians). I was toasty and warm at night even without bundling too much.
catraveller
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jmayoff » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Very helpful - thanks for the input y'all! Based on your info, I've decided I definitely DO NOT need to spend US$500-$1000 for a -25 to -40 sleeping bag. My local REI store has a -15F bag on sale right now for only $199, so I'm grabbing one of those this weekend.

Jeff
jmayoff

Postby jasonatl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 pm

I used a 0F bag and except one or maybe two nights, had to leave it partially opened because it was too warm. A 15F bag probably will be fine especially if you're ok with sleeping in your clothes. While some prefer shorts and a tshirt, given what altitude does to the amount of urine you produce, unless you want to use a bottle in your tent, not needing to get dressed at 3am to use the toilet is nice.
jasonatl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Africa and Middle East