Zanzibar to Joburg

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Zanzibar to Joburg

Postby scooby123 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:13 am

HI Everyone,

I am going on the Zanzibar to Joburg adventure over Christmas; I see that it is rainy season and we are camping. Has anyone been on one of these camping tours and is there a plan B if the rains are heavy?
scooby123
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Zanzibar to Joburg

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am

Lots of us have been on the camping tours. ;-)

Plan B? What do you mean? The tents are sturdy and have both ground clothes and rain flies on them. I would take a pair of flip flops for heavy rain days so you can keep your shoes dry -- mine took a couple of days to dry out after a some heavy rain in the Serengeti.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby coqui14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 am

Most of the time, but not always, there is a Plan B. Many of the camps have huts or cabins where you can stay for an extra fee. You can always request to stay in a hotel at your own expense if the rain is too heavy. Hope you enjoy your trip.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 am

coqui14 wrote:Most of the time, but not always, there is a Plan B. Many of the camps have huts or cabins where you can stay for an extra fee. You can always request to stay in a hotel at your own expense if the rain is too heavy. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Hmmmm .... I don't recall any hotels at Snake Park (Arusha), Chitimba Beach (1st night in Malawi), Chipata, Lusaka (well, I'm sure there are hotels but not at the campground we used) or a few other places we stayed but yes, other places may have cabins or huts for an additional fee. We got lucky at Kande Beach and Dar es Salaam, no luck in Botswana (although I think G has changed campgrounds so your mileage may vary).

To be fair, the only time we had significant rain on my trip was in the Serengeti where of course we didn't have any hotels so the CEO may well have had backup plans that we never saw. G's CEOs are top-notch and always planning ahead so travel with confidence. :D
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Africa and Middle East