southern africa - route recommendations

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

southern africa - route recommendations

Postby nia_stoyan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:20 pm

hi:
i can't decide among the following trips:

nairobi to cape town
cape town to joberg
nairobi to joberg

i'd like to hit the highlights as i won't be going back to africa for some time after this trip. i either miss kruger or tanzania or the south-west.
thanks for the advice!
nia_stoyan
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: southern africa - route recommendations

Postby chardonais » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Depends what you most want to see. If your looking for mainly wildlife, nothing can compare to the Serengeti and crator

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby tysonlee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:37 am

I am in the early planning stages. I recently got back from DUEA tour and it was amazing. I am not sure either of these tours will top that one but I am going to try. Here are a few options I have for traveling.
tyson
tysonlee

Postby Zuleika » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 pm

I have been on several safari's which include Kenya and Tanzania, Kruger, Uganda and all of the South west.
Looking at your three options I would, based on my experience pick the Nairobi to Cape town - hands down.
I think this option offers the most variety, the South west is quite different from the other countries, you have the magnificent sand dunes of Namibia for one thing. The water hole at Etosha is absolutely not to be missed either! The parks of Botswana, Zambia etc are mainly wild and very wonderful - in comparison the Kruger is all fences and tarmac roads (and Jobergs not that nice either) - imo - I much preferred the wild bush camps - oh the excitement (and scare factor!!) of having the wild animals roam through your campsite - you cant beat it. And then as others have said - Tanzania Crater is not to be missed. Kenya however is over rated.

Whatever you decide though Im sure will be awesome - but prepare yourself for some very long truck days! There is nothing quite like overlanding through Africa!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby georginal » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I have done Joberg - Cape Town which included Kruger and also Cape Town to Niarobi as well as some other trips in Africa, and I'd agree with Zuleika, go for the big one Nairobi to Cape Town, Serengeti and Etosha win hands down over Kruger.
georginal

Return to Africa and Middle East